What are you Baking the Week of December 12, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of December 12, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Although my pumpkin rye whole wheat flour loaves did not have a high rise. The laves at the center point are 3 1/2 inches high. The bread texture is compact but soft, while the crust is thick and chewy. The molasses flavor is strong. I had worried that the crust got too dark, but the flavor is good, and the loaves do not have a burned taste. My husband went back for an additional slice, so he likes it.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked my seasonal eggnog cake on Wednesday evening. I posted the recipe at Nebraska Kitchen a long time ago, then added an alternate version that uses only oil and no butter. I was able to snag non-fat eggnog when we went shopping a couple of weeks ago. I would have settled for low-fat, but it was either the non-fat or the full-fat eggnog. I baked it in a star Bundt pan. After turning it out, I sprinkled the top of the cake with a mixture of extra fine red, green, and white sugar. The cake will rest overnight to develop the flavor, and we will begin slicing it for dessert after dinner tomorrow.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Navlys, here is a recipe for brownie brittle that I have made A LOT. I even made batches for our garden club bake sale. It is super easy.
          https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/toffee-brownie-crackle-crispy-crunchy-brownie-wafer-cookies/

navlys
          Participant

Thanks for the recipe CW! I'll try it when I run out of my mix.

chocomouse
            Participant

I bought A 50 lb bag of Sir Galahad (AP) flour at KABC this morning -- $34.95!!! Wow! I get a bag twice a year, late spring and fall, so I have not bought it since last May-June. (I also supplement it with the seasonal 5 lbs on sale 2 for 5.00 at the grocery store) I don't recall the price at that time, but it usually run around $28-29, wholesale, so it varies. That is a huge jump!

Italiancook
              Participant

It is shocking and concerning to see how some prices have increased. I'm also concerned about the jump in delivery costs. I signed up for KA Baker's Reward+ today in hopes of reducing shipping costs. I'm unsure I buy from KA often enough to breakeven on this, but I'm going to give it a try.

Italiancook
                Participant

I baked KABC Blitz Bread Focaccia today to go with homemade soup. Most of it went into the freezer.

Cass, I haven't forgotten the Portuguese Bread. I looked over your suggestions just yesterday. I think we're going to have this with the Portuguese olive oil as a Christmas Eve treat. Just in case I flub this new recipe, I hope to make Italian bread on Saturday to freeze. If the Portuguese Bread flubs, I'll pull the Italian bread out of the freezer, and we'll have the olive oil on Christmas Day with Italian bread.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made chocolate cake-in-the-pan (or crazy cake, if you prefer) for my wife's birthday today.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Happy Birthday to your wife, Mike. I hope she enjoyed her day.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Happy Birthday to your wife Mike, I know she enjoyed the cake and I hope her shoulder is doing good.

BakerAunt
                        Participant
                          aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

The price of flour (among other things) has been a recent big topic on the BBGA and I know my baker has been shifting whole grain flours just trying to keep costs down. Recently he switched to spelt and now he cannot find that. Most of his flour comes from Central Milling and he has had a hard time finding flour from them. He has switched to Galahad for now but is not a big fan of KABC anymore.

Down here in CT, the cost of gas has increased about $1.15 since since January. It may be more or less where you live but when something that basic goes up it increases the cost of everything. ANd the more touches a product goes through the more it will raise the cost.

I love working in supply chain/logistics.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Shipping is what's really killing me on mail orders for flour, and that's somewhat ironic because a lot of the flours I use are probably grown and milled in the great plains, then shipped to Texas or Ohio or further away, then shipped back to me.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Bob's Red Mill has a pretty good deal on shipping if you 1) don't order a 25 lb. bag, and 2) have an order that is $59 or more. Both of those give you free shipping. There is also a discount for items bought by the case. They are my source for most of my non-AP flour, as well as oats of all kinds and milk powder. They ship UPS and are quick.

I use KABC for white whole wheat, pumpernickel, and first clear flour. I've been a member of the Baker's Rewards since before we moved here in 2017. It does require a minimum order each time of $25 AFTER discounts. The rewards also help with product prices. The shipping is somewhat slow, so I factor that in and plan ahead. KABC also is my source for 2 lb. bags of yeast, since I am not close enough to the Gordon's Food Services.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Aaron, I'm also no longer a big fan of KABC, for lots of reasons. I have no need to join Baker's Rewards (the paying version) as I live just 10 miles from the store, so free shipping would be a ridiculous option, a complete waste of earth's resources and ruin to the environment. When they advertise a sale, it only applies to shipped items; the sale does NOT apply to items in the store. However, I am a Baker's Reward member, the free version. Twice a year, December and May (?) they have a 20% off day for Reward members, and I do take advantage of that, although yesterday I spent only $74 plus 34.95 for the 50 lb of Sir Galahad. This was the first time I've been able to buy it on sale - they've said in the past that since it is wholesale, it never goes on sale, but yesterday they said it was included in the sale. Most of the products KABC sells are available cheaper elsewhere. I do buy pumpernickel, First Clear, lemon juice powder regularly, and yesterday I splurged on Harvest Grains - expensive but I love it. And today I regret not buying a bag of the Super 10 Blend, which I also love and I'm almost out.

Baker Aunt, I buy 2 lb bags of yeast at BJs, which is less than half the price of KABC yeast. Do you have a Costco or Sam's near you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.