What are you Baking the Week of August 20, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 20, 2023?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Supposed to be 100 here again today, the 2nd of 6 days in a row of 100+ temps, so not a lot of baking planned, except maybe in the evenings.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Thanks to BakerAunt's recent post, I made two loaves of Whole Wheat Maple Buttermilk Bread!

BakerAunt
        Participant

I do love that bread, Chocomouse!

For Sunday breakfast, I made Cornmeal-Pumpernickel Waffles, which we had with maple syrup and some blueberry syrup, which is a byproduct when I bake blueberry pie. I froze the six extra waffles to eat at future breakfasts.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Today I baked The Blueberry Breakfast Bread from KABC. I had bought some blueberries that were that good so I told Will I would bake with them. It's not really a cake - they call it a cross between a clafoutis and a Dutch baby. PJ created it years ago. While it is good and not too sweet, mine was dense as I think I over-beat it. The recipe said to best the eggs and sugar with the whisk attachment until thick and light in color. I reread the blog and PJ said, beat until smooth which I will try the next time. Such totally different instructions which I find annoying. Anyway, we did enjoy it and will definitely make again - it was very easy,

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday evening, I again baked that recipe for Bittersweet Blackberry Brownies that I first tried a couple of weeks ago. This time, I added 1 tsp. espresso powder. I used the countertop convection oven.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Wednesday, I baked Whole Wheat Oat Flax Buns. I also baked Big Lake Judy's Molasses Cookies. In the evening, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them next week.

chocomouse
                Participant

Now that the anti-biotic is working on my infection, I'm able to use my hand again so I'm back in the kitchen, cooking and baking! I made zucchini brownies and Grilled Asiago Bread Rounds today. This time I used a three-cheese blend of asiago, romano, and parmesan with lots of roasted garlic. I also used bread flour again, which makes them chewy but also easier to handle. We'll eat some tomorrow.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I decided to try the Japanese Milk Bread, without any milk as I was out. This time I didn't add extra flour to make it more manageable so had to sort of pat it into shape and roll it up with just a sprinkle of cinnamon. It came out much better than the last rolls, it rose better and was more moist. I knew milk makes a difference in how well the bread rose but it also makes it more tender.
                    My oven decided to stop working, its as if the button for turning on the oven wasn't working at all. I took it over to a friend's house and used her oven. I'm ordering a replacement oven and will be making only pancakes for the next couple weeks. There isn't enough counter space to make a portable oven a viable option.

chocomouse
                    Participant

That's too bad, Skeptic. I cannot imagine being without an over for more than a day!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Friday evening, I made the dough for cinnamon rolls. After shaping, I parked the dish in the refrigerator to be baked for breakfast on Saturday morning. I made these half whole wheat, and I used buttermilk, with avocado oil replacing the butter.

I am sorry that you have to wait for the oven, Skeptic. I bought my little countertop convection oven about 8 years ago when my oven was out of commission. As it turns out, the countertop oven comes in handy for overflow, and also for not heating up the kitchen.

navlys
                        Participant

I make chocolate peanut clusters for my husband. I usually use white chocolate(from TJ's) dark chocolate and milk chocolate melted together. I found these Hershey cinnamon chips that were over due for use . I threw them in the mix. They really do not melt. I had to smush them on the side of the pan. Sometimes being frugal does not pay off. I guess they taste ok according to hubby.

ps: I used Sara Moulton's tip to squish the parchment paper to make it easier to set it on the cookie sheet. It works.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I am making semolina bread today, with enough extra dough to make some epis de bles on another day, after the dough has sat in the fridge for a while.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

After Saturday's dinner, I will be baking a blueberry streusel pie--a special request from my younger bonus son, who takes after his dad in the pie area, so there will be two happy guys tomorrow.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.