Washington Post on the influx of new bakers

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls Washington Post on the influx of new bakers

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I ruined a Greek salad I was making for a big dinner one night,opened wrong end of Tone pepper jar about a half cup came out,I rinsed the salad off still had to chunk whole thing,I was pissed.I picked out the feta chunks rest was trashed.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I messed up a soup when the pepper container came open. We did eat it, but we picked out the unground pepper with each bowl we ate.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

The flour shortage and baking craze may be slowing down. Our local paper picked up this story from the

Chicago Tribune

I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've been making my own barbecue sauce for many years.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I used to make my own sauce and then I stopped. It's on my list of things to make again...

Just realized, though - The Trib told people to start making barbecue sauce and barbecuing during a meat shortage! ๐Ÿ™‚

BakerAunt
              Participant

Good catch, Aaron!

While there is some overlap between bakers and barbecuers, I'm thinking that the bread baking craze is in no danger of slowing down, IF people were baking good bread. It may be that they will realize that they need really good buns to set off what they barbecue.

Italiancook
                Participant

At a time in the past, we had a neighbor who grilled a lot. He even grilled their Thanksgiving turkeys inside the garage (with garage door open) regardless of snow or cold weather. When I asked for it, he graciously gave me his barbecue recipe and I've been using it ever since.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We use a recipe out of the Better Homes & Gardens Barbecue Book (Warren's BBQ sauce), though I've tinkered with it a little over the years, including cooking it several hours longer. It's a Carolina sauce (vinegar-based).

I've also taken some of it, added some honey, and cooked it down to a thick sauce for steak.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.