Washington Post on the influx of new bakers

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Washington Post on the influx of new bakers

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On the subject of new bakers, here's a link to a short (11 minute) NPR story on the science of making bread:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/833428230/the-science-of-making-bread

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by BakerAunt.
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Ugh! Sorry. I cannot find anyone who has whole wheat flour to sell. I can get SAF Red for $6/pound and KAF bread for4 $5/pound. I think I can get Caputo oo but not sure of the price.

I am still searching for whole wheat. I do not know what shipping will cost but I am saving boxes.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks for asking, Aaron.

I have looked at two sites:

https://www.bakersauthority.com/

The shipping is the expensive part, although it would actually be cheaper to buy a 50 lb. bag and pay shipping from these places than pay the Walmart price for a 50 lb. bag with free shipping. I don't know anything about these two sites or how backed up they are on shipping. I'm going to keep looking for a closer location to north-central Indiana.

A 50 lb. bag of whole wheat flour would be a storage challenge, but I could probably stuff the refrigerator with individual bags.

I wish that KAF and BRM could let us know when they might have flour back in stock to ship.

I put an order (not for flour) into KAF last Monday, so as not to lose my Bakers Bucks which was expiring, and I have yet to receive a notice that it has shipped. All items were supposedly in stock. I would have waited on the order, but KAF never managed to answer my question as to whether they would consider extending the expiration dates on Bakers Bucks, so I went ahead and ordered.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Honeyville has $8.99 flat rate shipping so a 50 pound bag of whole wheat flour winds up being a little over a dollar a pound. I'm thinking about possibly ordering 50 pounds of semolina from them, the landed cost would be about $1.50 per pound, and I've been paying $2.50 or more locally.

I did a search on 'bulk flour indiana' and some places came up that might be a day-trip away. As I recall, there are some Mennonite communities in Indiana and Ohio, they often repackage bulk flours into sizes more appropriate for home use.

Too bad we don't live near each other, we could put together a pretty good bulk order. But shipping from point A to point B is really expensive unless you do enough of it to get the good rates.

I generally don't worry about whole wheat flour any more, because I've got a flour mill and several types of wheat berries on hand. Finding wheat berries is sometimes even more challenging than finding whole wheat flour, though.

I'm starting to get low on semolina, and I don't know if the place I've been getting it from locally is able to sell from their bulk bins right now.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

This place (Supermarket Italy) has Caputo 00 for about $2 per pound, and if you order $50 or more shipping is free.

Supermarket Italy

Joan Simpson
              Participant

When we were grocery shopping in Publix yesterday they had KAF whole wheat in 5#bags for $4.15.All other flours were out.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Have you ordered from Honeyville before, Mike? If their flour is good, that would be worth it.

I tried googling "bulk flour Indiana," but google likes to bring up some places that are actually salvage places. The one nearest to me, Harvest Moon, had ok but not spectacular prices when I went there with a friend a few years back. I think that they were more interested in selling baked goods. Still, it might be worth a trip over to check out whole wheat flour.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I think I've ordered from Honeyville once, Sara Wirth orders from them a lot, though. I'm outside of their truck route area, but I think you're in it.

I've ordered from Country Life Natural Foods several times, but their website suggests that they're having stock issues and are way behind on shipping, like nearly everyone else.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I don't know how long it will last, but Bob's Red Mill actually had whole wheat flour available. I bought two bags of it, two bags of steel-cut oats, and 2 bags of wheat germ. They are doing a flat rate of $9.99, it seems, but it will take about two weeks to arrive. That, along with what I have on hand should hold me for a couple of months for baking, breakfast, and making granola, then I'll see where the world is at.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

My Bob's Red Mill order arrived yesterday. I think that I was lucky, as I went back to their site last night and whole wheat flour was listed as sold out. If you need one of their flours, it probably pays to monitor the site. I was lucky to get the steel-cut oats and wheat germ as well.

Based on what I'm seeing from the Bon Appetit and Epicurious (aren't they owned by BA?) emails, banana bread, focaccia, and sourdough seem to be leading the online baking. I've not seen much on chocolate chip cookies, but surely they must be in the running for most popular Pandemic bakes.

For cooking, I've seen a lot of cheesy casseroles (comfort food) in Martha Stewart and Real Simple emails. Bon Appetit, of course, is coming out with the usual very strange main dish recipes that always manage to have an odd ingredient or two that is not easily available even in the best of times--unless you work in the BA test kitchen--that will probably convince most millennials NOT even to attempt to cook. I read comics online at Go Comics, and Luann is about to attempt an online stew recipe that had a long list of ingredients, some of which are rather odd, not to mention expensive. She must have gotten it from Bon Appetit.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

King Arthur had been offering some blogs for new bakers. I read P.J. Hamel's blog on using the flour you've got, which would be useful for newbies. There is also one on substituting bread flour for AP, which I think someone here asked about.

In reading the comments, I saw someone wanted to know when the website would have flour again. The reply was that they could not ship to individuals right now as there are too many people wanting to order flour and socially distancing in warehouses makes the work slower.

The upshot is that King Arthur is shipping flour out to stores, so we have a better chance of getting it at a grocery store vs. no chance of being able to order it online from KAF at this time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          Italiancook
                          Participant

Thanks for the valuable info about ordering KA flour. I can understand why they need to keep the grocery stores stocked. BTW, has anyone ever bought Gold Medal unbleached flour? The main store I go to only carries that brand in bleached.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I usually buy Gold Medal unbleached flour to use for cakes, quick breads, cookies, etc. I find that it works well. I've also bought Pillsbury unbleached flour and have not found a difference between the two. Bob's Red Mill also makes an unbleached flour that I've used.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I've used GM unbleached AP, it isn't quite as consistent as KAF, but it works reasonably well. I like a softer flour for pastry, though.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

If you haven't seen the Luann strip from today (May 1st), been there, done that!

Luann

See Uncle George and the (Pepper) Dragon

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.