Non-white flour bread recipes

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Non-white flour bread recipes

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here are three of my favorite recipes from the Whole Grains book: Pretzels, Scottish Shortbread and Hot Cross Buns. (I tried a number of hot cross buns recipes, these are the best I found.)

chandos
      Participant

Thank you for processing the recipe Mike. I am not familiar with Whole Grain Bread Improver or diastatic barley malt but I have heard of vital wheat gluten and will try that, along with the vinegar. BakerAunt, thank you for the instructions on copying a link! And I will look for that bread improver recipe from S. Wirth. I hate to sound dumb but where do I find Baking Thread? And yes, that was the recipe I used this time.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Mike--Have you looked at Stanley Ginsberg's The Rye Baker? I bought it this fall but have not yet gotten around to baking from it, in part because most of the recipes require a rye starter, and my husband is not that fond of rye bread. Also, sometimes it calls for more specialized ingredients than I can find easily. I have marked the Salty Rye Rolls as the one that I will attempt first because it does not require a rye starter and I have all the ingredients.

Baking for someone, like the professor from Germany, who knows good bread, should be a pleasure. We are getting ready to go on vacation to Florida for two weeks, and because I have become such a bread snob, I'm wondering what I'm going to eat after I run out of the baked goods I'm taking with us. 😮 I've been told that Publix grocery stores have pretty good bread. My husband and I will also make a trip to the National Bakery in Tarpon Springs, since he is very fond of their Greek cookies. (Those of you who were on the old KAF Baking site may recall my attempt to replicate them. I think that the thread is posted here.) We will try their bread also.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Blanche--It takes a while to learn to navigate this site, and even then, we sometimes have to dig for items. The discussion is one of the posted comments in the What are You Baking the Week of January 7, 2018 thread. If you click on it and read through, you will find S. Wirth's comment.

Here is the link to one of the dough improvers:

And here is the second:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
            chandos
            Participant

Also, I have seen recipes using oat flour. Can I make that by running rolled oats through the food processor until it is the consistency of flour? BakerAunt I am also trying to branch out to other whole grains. I have a few recipes that I make with spelt flour (cake and muffins) and will try a spelt bread recipe soon. I like the taste of whole wheat flour but also like variety.

chandos
              Participant

BakerAunt, thank you for the site information and the link.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Blanche: For oat flour, measure out the same amount of rolled oats, then run them through the food processor. It will give you the same amount of oat flour. Thus 1 cup oat flour = 1 cup rolled oats. Make it as you need it, as oat flour can go bad more easily than rolled oats.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

That's how I make oat flour from rolled oats, the longer you process it in the food processor the finer it is ground up.

There are a number of King Arthur Flour recipes that utilize products that they sell on their website, the Whole Grain Bread Improver is one of those products. Hopefully the Vital Wheat Gluten and a little vinegar will have a similar effect.

Diastatic Barley Malt is often added to wheat flour at the mill. (Look on the label, you may see 'barley flour' or DBM listed.) It contains enzymes that help break down the starch in the flour into simple sugars that yeast can digest. Yeast contains similar enzymes, but adding the DBM gives the yeast a bit of assistance.

You may also see sources for non-diastatic barley malt. In this case, the barley has been heated to disable those enzymes. NDBM is basically a flavoring ingredient, it adds a nutty taste and a bit of sweetness to the dough. Adding barley syrup accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

'Malting' refers to sprouting a seed before grinding it up. When a seed sprouts, it becomes a chemical factory, manufacturing a number of compounds, including several enzymes, that aren't present in the seed if it is just ground up into flour. So you will sometimes see malted barley flour or malted wheat flour in the grocery store, there are a number of interesting recipes that call for malted wheat flour.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

BA, I know of Ginsberg's book, but it is not one I currently have. I don't currently maintain any starters because the sourness of most sourdough breads is something my wife can't tolerate. Oddly enough, when we're in San Francisco, where our younger son lives, she has no trouble with sourdough bread there.

One of these days I may try the Chad Robertson (Tartine Bakery) method for producing a less 'mature' sourdough starter, to see if my wife could handle it. But it's kind of an intense process and there are a lot of steps where you have to throw away as much as 95% of your starter, and I hate throwing usable food away.

skeptic7
                      Participant

I just added my Very Easy Whole Wheat Focaccio to the recipe list. This is a very forgiving bread, if the dough is wet it ends up with a coarse texture and lots of holes, if the dough is drier it has a tighter crumb.

skeptic7
                        Participant

BakerAunt,
                          The Laurel Kitchen Breadbook has the opposite problem. They were saying that one problem with kneading the dough well is that it tended to mellow the whole wheat flavor, also the flavor could be lessened by adding an acid ingredient like buttermilk. I liked a more mellow flavor and made a concerted effort to be sure my dough was well kneaded.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Skeptic7--Ah! I almost always add buttermilk to my breads, particularly those that are whole grain. I started using buttermilk a lot after S. Wirth told us that it helps the keeping qualities of baked goods. That's interesting that it also mellows the flavor.

Italiancook
                            Participant

BakerAunt, do you use buttermilk when the recipe calls for heating the milk? Is there a discernable taste to using buttermilk? I'm wondering if I could use buttermilk when making dinner rolls.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Italiancook--I don't heat the buttermilk (it separates if you do), and I have not had any problems. It will get warmed up enough from the mixer or the bread machine. I do use active yeast, so if a recipe calls for all milk, I use 1/4 of the liquid as water to proof the yeast and use buttermilk for the rest. (I use active dry yeast, and I'm always more comfortable seeing it foam.) I do not primarily taste the buttermilk.

skeptic7
                                Participant

I use buttermilk a lot on quick breads and a little bit on yeast breads. I don't think buttermilk needs to be scalded, the culturing seems to take care of the enzymes that cause problems. I try to limit the buttermilk in yeast breads to 1/2 the liquid -- advice from Laurel's Kitchen Bread cookbook, said that using all buttermilk would make the bread too tender and soft to rise properly. However I didn't confirm this with an actualy experiment.

I notice a change in taste from using buttermilk in yeast breads but I like it. Its just slightly sour. I don't notice a change in quick breads.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.