Non-white flour bread recipes

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Non-white flour bread recipes

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

BA, as I recall the purpose of the KAF Whole Grain Baking Book was to introduce bakers to adding whole grains into their baking. That was why I asked for it for a Christmas present when it was new. It was also where I learned about weighing flour and other ingredients.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Cwcdesign--I should have been more specific in my comments. I was not referring to the recipe developers for the KAF Whole Grain Baking book. I was referring to the current KAF staff developing whole grain recipes on their site. For example, I cannot figure out why they would add vanilla to those barley muffins I made on Monday.

Skeptic7: Baking soda often is used to offset some of the flavor of the buttermilk in quick breads and muffins, in addition to its use to offset the acidity. When I switch to buttermilk, I usually substitute 1/4 tsp. baking soda for a teaspoon of baking powder. As Cass told us, from Bakewise, baking soda has 4x the rising power of baking powder.

skeptic7
        Participant

BakerAunt;
          On quickbreads I use 1/2 tsp baking soda to 1 cup of buttermilk -- thats the amount I found in a northern cornbread recipe when I first started using whole wheat flour for quickbreads.
          Do you every use baking soda with yeast breads to counteract the acidity? I've added sugar or honey when I think the bread is going to taste too sour.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Skeptic7--At the moment, the only yeast bread with baking soda recipe that I can recall is the English Muffin Bread in Bernard Clayton's bread book. In that case, it is kneaded in by hand after the first rise--and oh is that messy and hard to get evenly distributed--but that is what helps to give it the requisite holes.

I may be overdoing the buttermilk in some of my bread recipes. I may experiment by doing just half buttermilk and half water, as you said Laurel's Bread Book recommends.

RiversideLen
            Participant

If I'm using buttermilk in a bread recipe, I will add 1/4 tsp baking soda, provided I'm using at least a cup of buttermilk. Otherwise I don't bother.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Bernard Clayton also had a whole wheat bread in his Bread book that used either baking soda or baking powder. I cannot remember which and my copy has disappeared. I think it was taken out in the Great Cookbook Purge of 2014...

Baking soda is an acid tamer. Think baking soda and vinegar volcanoes.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I'll have to check my copies. There are two editions, and I have both. However, it may be a while until I can get to them.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I made pizza dough this morning. It's currently rising on the kitchen counter and will go into the refrigerator this even. Our kitchen is about 67 degrees.

Ingredients and amounts:

3 cups cool tap water
                    3 cups white whole wheat flour
                    3.5 cups cake flour
                    .5 cup flax meal
                    .5 cup garbanzo flour
                    2 tsp instant yeast
                    1 tsp salt
                    1 tsp sugar

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.