Mason Jar Lid Pies

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Mason Jar Lid Pies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

This is a cute idea for using up leftover pie crust, or for making a batch of mini-pies if you don't have a pan (like the KAF burger bun pan or the Chicago Metallic pans) that will do it:

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

English Muffin rings would probably work for this, too.

S_Wirth
        Participant

Cute idea!

chocomouse
          Participant

I often make "pie" in the small (I think 4 oz) mason jars. Cut rolled out pie crust into circles using a cookie cutter just a bit smaller than the jar lid. Bake them. Layer the crust and cooked pie filling (any kind, raspberry was my husband's favorite) into the jars; I recall I usually fit 3 rounds of crust plus the filling into each jar. Screw on the lids (no need to process) and store in the freezer. I started doing this after I gave up making ugly looking pies; now that I have that mastered, I haven't made these for ages.

skeptic7
            Participant

Chocomouse;
              Cute idea with the small mason jars! I like the idea that you don't actually bake in the jars which could crack. How was your last festival? Is your oven working better now?

I like the idea of using English Muffin rings rather than Mason jar rings. I reuse my mason jar rings and many are rather dented and tarnished.

chocomouse
              Participant

Skeptic, the oven is OK; perhaps I should just say that I am adapting to it's new ways! Last weekend we were at the NH festival, and Tuesday we leave for the Maine Fiber Frolic. This will be an extended trip, business and pleasure, as we will spend some time on the beach before school is out and the vacationers arrive. We also plan to visit When Pigs Fly for pizza and more of their fabulous bread!

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

This is cool! My mom made pies in muffin tins and I've always wanted to try it but I was concerned about how it would release from the tine. But with a mason jar you can push the lid up through the ring!

I make strawberry shortcakes in (used) jam jars. I layer some whipped cream, then biscuit, then strawberries and more whipped cream.

S_Wirth
                  Participant

Here is a recipe from SarahH from the old and new BCs...for Pecan Tassies baked in muffin tins:

https://thecookslife.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/pecan-tassies/

Scroll way down for the recipe below her story.

navlys
                    Participant

My lids get rusty looking. Can you still use them?

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I wouldn't use them for this. I don't think they'd do anything dangerous or harmful, but I suspect it would affect the appearance making them somewhat unappetizing.

Egg rings might work as well, but that's not something many people would have, much less several of them.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I wonder if the filling for Sarah H's recipe would work with an oil crust for larger small pies. I may try it at some point.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.