Link to Maple Buttermilk Bread Recipe

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Link to Maple Buttermilk Bread Recipe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I came across this recipe for a basic Maple Buttermilk Bread dough that can also be used for rolls or with additional sugar, sweet rolls. I'm putting it on my list to try:

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for this interesting recipe. Using a Pullman's loaf pan is mentioned. I've been wanting to buy one of those but didn't have a recipe. I don't know if any bread recipe will work in that pan. Now that I have a recipe that specifically recommends it, I'm going to buy one from KAF, unless they're out of stock. I have no idea where I'll store it, though.

I have too much buttermilk. I bought a quart, someone bought me a half gallon, and my husband came home today with a pint. So I need to get busy doing buttermilk baking.

skeptic7
        Participant

My problem with the recipe is the premise, I never had problems finding things to bake using buttermilk. I sometimes had to make a point of using regular milk because it was getting sour, but buttermilk keeps so well in the refrigerator I don't worry about it. I use buttermilk more in pancakes and quick breads than in yeast breads.

Italiancook
          Participant

I find when I substitute buttermilk in a muffin recipe that I need to use more buttermilk than the milk called for. Do you, or anyone, have a ready adjustment for increasing the buttermilk in place of milk?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Buttermilk does seem to be thicker than whole milk, although according to the USDA both are around 87% water.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Excess buttermilk is not an issue around here, either, Skpetic. I often replace most of the water in my breads with buttermilk to increase nutrition, and S. Wirth told us that it also improves the keeping qualities.

I don't think that the recipe requires a Pullman pan. I plan to make it my next bread, and I'll use a regular loaf pan.

chocomouse
                Participant

I use buttermilk in most all of my baking, and have 2 loaves of honey-oatmeal bread cooling on my counter right now. It is my standard go-to sandwich loaf, made with 2 cups AP, 1 cup oatmeal, and 2 cups of whole wheat. I often substitute 12 grain, Super 10 Blend, or some other whole grain mix for 1 cup of the whole wheat. And sometimes I use maple syrup instead of honey. Also the usual 2 tsp yeast, 1 tsp salt, and 1 2/3 cups of buttermilk. Although I measure ingredients, I almost always need to increase the buttermilk by up to 1/4 cup to get the right consistency. And when the buttermilk (Kate's) is getting used up, I fill the container with milk, and let it sit out in the warm kitchen up 8-12 hours, so I buy fresh only every few months. I also use it in most sweet baked goods.

I recently discovered 2 bags of potato flour in my pantry, so I've started adding 2-3 tablespoons of that to each batch of bread dough. Supposedly, it helps it retain moisture and stays fresh longer. Do any of you use it?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by chocomouse.
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

I use potato flour in most of my yeast breads. I do 2 tablespoons of potato flour to 4 cups of flour.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I use potato flour in the KAF recipes that call for it. For a while, I was adding it to various recipes.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Skeptic, do you find the potato flour helps with moisture and keeping the bread longer? And BakerAunt, I'm curious about why you stopped using it to other recipes, and whether you found it improved the bread.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Chocomouse--I never really had a sense of HOW I should be using it. In some cases I may have used too much, and it made the breads heavy. I'm not sure that I noticed much difference when I did use it. I do know that potato water is good for bread. I also know that Joan has used mashed potato in her bread with good results.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

As BakerAunt said I add mashed potatoes to my regular bread,sourdough or cinnamon rolls and the texture is smooth and keeps the bread moist and very soft,I usually add a half cup or sometimes more and they are seasoned with salt,pepper,butter and sour cream.If I don't have any I've cooked a potato and mashed it and use the water also.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

I add mash potatoes very rarely. I don't often make mash potatoes, and then mainly eat them myself. I have some recipes, a Betty Crocker Hot Cross bun recipe that calls for mash potatoes and I will make the effort for them. I found the bread is moister but also a little heavier.
                              I add potato flour because it is easier, just measuring out the potato flour and adding it to the regular flour. Its a small enough amount I don't think about adding extra liquid. If the dough is slightly too dry I can add a tablespoon of water at time when kneading. I do think that it keeps the resulting bread moist.
                              I didn't use any potato flour in a recent recipe and found the dough drier than the breads with potato flour.

Italiancook
                              Participant

BakerAunt, if you make this bread without a Pullman loaf pan, please let us know how the finished product looks.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Friday July 10, 2020 I finally got around to trying this recipe. It's in the oven right now, and I will give a report once it comes out of the oven and then again tomorrow after we cut into it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.