Link to Maple Buttermilk Bread Recipe

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Link to Maple Buttermilk Bread Recipe

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Ok, the bread is out of the oven. Here are my notes:

I used the bread machine, and the Zo handled the ingredients with no problem. As always, I let all the ingredients, except the oil, mix together, then drizzled in the oil near the end of the mixing period.

I made some changes—3 ½ cups whole wheat flour and 1 ½ cup bread flour. I ended up needing to add an additional ¼ cup AP flour and ¼ cup whole wheat flour plus a Tablespoon more while the machine was mixing and kneading. I added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I reduced the 2 tsp. yeast to 1 ¾ tsp and halved the salt from 1 tsp to ½ tsp. I replaced the 3 Tbs. butter with 2 Tbs. canola oil. I used 5 Tbs. maple syrup, a bit less than the 1/3 cup, but I proofed my yeast in water that I’d used to clean out the maple syrup jar.

The first rise was on schedule. The dough was very gassy, and even after turning it out, pre-shaping, and letting rest 5 minutes, I ended up banging it down on the counter a couple of times before final shaping. There is a lot of dough, and I chose to use my 10x5-inch loaf pan, greased with Crisco, which was a good decision. I think it would work in the “hearth” pan as well, but that one tends to let the bottom overbrown. (I need to see if USA pans now makes one in the shiny material.) I think it would also work in two 8x4 inch loaf pans.

After 43 minutes of the second rise and almost doubled, I put it into the oven and baked for 40 minutes. (Note: I did not do the egg glaze and sprinkle with flaky salt.) It registered at 194F after 40 minutes. I went ahead and removed it from the pan, as I had to turn it over to get the temperature at the bottom where it would not show. It’s cooling, and has just a faint wrinkling on top.

The oven spring was very good. It's a large loaf of bread. It should work fine in two 8x4 pans for smaller loaves, and it would nicely fill out the hearth bread pan.

I'll post back tomorrow on taste and texture.

BakerAunt
      Participant

This bread is WONDERFUL! It has the slight maple taste, even with the whole wheat I substituted in, and the texture is light. I will definitely be baking it again. I just wish that I had a less expensive source of maple syrup, but at least I can get free shipping from Vermont Country Store if I order at least three glass jars. (We don't like the plastic.)

cwcdesign
        Participant

I bookmarked this. I might try with some of your variations, but I can use my Pullman pan

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Your bread sounds so good BakerAunt.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I'm wondering about this bread recipe as a base for a maple sweet roll, perhaps making a pan of twenty? I'd need to use a larger pan than the 13x9. Has anyone ever made a maple sweet roll filling that has the flavor? The maple sweet roll recipe I have used in the past is brown sugar and maple extract, but I'm wondering how maple sugar would work. I'd definitely have maple in the glaze.

Of course, I would need company if I'm going to try that experiment, as two people should not be eating that number of sweet rolls.

chocomouse
              Participant

Finally posting a photo of the Maple Buttermilk bread I baked last week. It shows the dough only half-shaped, since I had to try to stuff it all into the pan as it was growing so much bigger as I worked on it!! As you can see, getting all the dough into the pan was not easy! It is a light fluffy bread with good flavor. It's very moist, almost too wet, compared to the much dryer whole grain breads I usually make. I'll make it again, probably with some slight changes.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                skeptic7
                Participant

BakerAunt;
                  thanks for doing the report. I think it would make excellent cinnamon rolls, fluffy and not too sweet. Excellent for Chili and Breakfast and Snacks. You could freeze some for later use.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Baker Aunt, I've made the Maple Cinnamon Rolls from sallysbakingaddiction. My written comments on the recipe are: dough soft, difficult to handle; no maple flavor. I also have a recipe (but have not made it) for maple sticky buns (don't know where it is from) that pours maple syrup into a greased 9 x 12, sprinkled with nuts, and with the cut spirals of dough laid on top. That is the only maple in the recipe.

I know that I've made maple cinnamon rolls numerous times. I use maple syrup in the dough instead of sugar, just use your favorite sweet dough recipe for the dough. After I roll the dough out into a rectangle, I brush it liberally with maple syrup, no idea how much I used. Then sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts and roll up. Not sure if I used any melted butter in that filling or not; probably not. I do recall that some of the syrup oozed out during baking. I suspect that is why I decided to make sticky buns instead of cinnamon buns. If you are frosting the rolls, I would put maple syrup in with the confectioner's sugar and butter. I've never use maple sugar, although I currently have several bags of it in my pantry, waiting for a good recipe. We make the syrup in our sugarhouse, as well as candy, but do not make sugar. Maple is such a subtle flavor (especially if you are using the "fancy" or "light" grade; I always use the dark) that maple flavored goods are often a disappointment.

My concern with using the Maple Buttermilk bread recipe for the rolls/buns is that mine was growing/expanding as I tried to shape it for the pan - it surely would not work for shaping into rolled buns!! I will make it again, but will look at your changes first. This time I followed the recipe exactly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by chocomouse.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Chocomouse your bread looked good to me!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I think that this bread would make two 8x4 inch loaves with no problem. I would do that next time, since the 10x5 loaf pan is a little large to bake in warmer weather and that would let me freeze one.

Thanks for your comments, Chocomouse, on maple rolls. The one recipe I have uses maple extract with brown sugar in the filling, and maple in the glaze. I'll have to do some internet surfing to see if anyone has figured out the maple sugar filling. I think that I would save the maple syrup for the glaze. I'm surprised KAF hasn't come up with a recipe to push their maple sugar.

If I made sweet rolls, I would probably divide the dough in half and roll out each part to a rectangle. I'm thinking that it would make 18-20 sweet rolls (or two dozen?), given how happy that dough was--and that was with my using whole wheat flour and halving the salt.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I will definitely make 2 loaves of the bread next time! I should think it would make 2 dozen rolls. I make 1 dozen out of a typical 3 cups of flour recipe. I do make smaller roll than what I see for sale in bakeries!

chocomouse
                          Participant

I need to add to my photo/comments about the loaf of bread on steroids! Not only did the that recipe make that huge loaf of bread -- it made 6 hot dog buns also. You can just barely see a bun at the edge of the photo. They were free-standing, and don't seem to be over-grown.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Before I try sweet rolls, I think that I will try just plain rolls. That will give me an idea of how large each will get.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.