Happy New Year, what’s cooking the week of 1/1/23?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Happy New Year, what’s cooking the week of 1/1/23?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Dinner tonight was ham and cheese sandwiches on rye, with potato chips.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had fish with broccoli.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I enjoyed the article too Mike.

Tonight we had leftover venison chili.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I had a roasted pork chop with roasted sweet potato and peas.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I forgot to mention that the casserole was pretty good, better the second night, but the bread cubes were still dry even with all the liquid - it was made like a bread pudding.

Last night, Will made red beans and rice - he's been trying to replicate a dish he had while traveling. The beans were not quite done, pretty close, but he realized he followed the minimum time and needed to allow for the maximum. It was a little heavy for me, but delicious nonetheless.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Aaron--I've posted the directions for making pumpkin puree in the recipe section. Let me know if anything is unclear.

I made muddled mashed potatoes on Wednesday to go with leftover turkey and gravy for dinner. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli. I made yogurt today as well.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made chicken thighs, wild rice, and cauliflower for dinner tonight.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

We had leftover beef roast with mushroom & onion gravy, green lima beans and rice.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a stir fry with a leftover pork chop, carrot, celery, mushrooms and peas. Had it with angel hair pasta.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Happy New Year everyone!

BA - thanks for the pumpkin puree recipe. I wish it were something I could try before Halloween but there is not a pumpkin to be found.

Aside from lunches and breakfast I made fried rice with chicken and broccoli. We didn't have any white rice so I used the brown rice without reading the instructions and it was mushy so the whole thing was kind of a big soggy mess. But Sam is home so instead of lasting for three meals it last for one and a half (Sam eats about five meals a day).

No baking yet. I was waiting to find out about jury duty but since I have filled my commitment I am free to bake.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Aaron--our local grocery store actually had some small organic pumpkins for sale. I cannot say I wasn't tempted, but I still have four pie pumpkins and that Long Island Cheese to cut, process, and freeze or use. I'm being held back by lack of freezer space, even though we have two refrigerators with freezers. I wish that I could figure out a place for a chest freezer.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Aaron, Alton Brown has a recipe for baked brown rice that has become my go to. It bakes for an hour, but prep is 5 minutes and you don't have to check it. I think I originally found it in Southern Living

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Aaron--I'm a fan of my very simple rice cooker. It does specify different water levels for amounts of brown rice, with the amounts for "other rice" on the other side. When I've used brown rice for a stir-fry, I find that it is best if made a day ahead and refrigerated, which helps dry it out.

CWCdesign--I've been following Kenji Alt-Lopez's instructions for cooking beans from his book The Food Lab. He recommends adding salt when soaking the beans and also adding salt to cook the beans. That method has worked well for me. I always test-eat a bean at what is supposed to be the end of the cooking time to see if it has softened appropriately or if I need more time, perhaps at a bit higher heat.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Fancy rice cookers and instant pots have too many settings for me!

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker that uses a simple thermocouple to control the heating elements, when the water boils off the temperature of the pan goes over 212 and it lowers the heat to a 'keep warm' setting. (I usually unplug it then.)

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm making some custard today, Diane is a little under the weather, not sure if she's trying to mount a fever or just worn out from two weeks of having family here over the holidays.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.