Eat your Christmas Tree?

Home Forums General Discussions Eat your Christmas Tree?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

There's a recent cookbook titled, "How to Eat Your Christmas Tree". Seriously.

You need to be fairly careful, though, some varieties of evergreen tree, like yews, can be toxic, and trees are sometimes treated with flame retardants.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I will pass on this idea!

I looked at the overview of the book. There are better ways to be sustainable, and frankly, no one is going to eat the wood, unless the baker who was putting sawdust in cookies (see Aaron's earlier post) is looking for more ingredients.

The book strikes me as a convoluted way of approaching a possible problem with a much simpler solution.

We bought our tree from a Christmas tree farm in our area, thereby supporting a local producer. Such farms protect land that might be gobbled up for development, and the trees have a positive effect on the environment as they grow.

As for after the holidays, when I lived in Lubbock, the Boy Scouts would pick up trees for a small donation after the holidays, and the trees would then be mulched. People could also drop off trees at a site where they would be mulched. Here, once we take the tree down, my husband ties it to our light post, and it looks like another tree until about May or June, depending on the weather. He then takes it over to the shed and it eventually becomes firewood. My husband's cousins remember their mother sending them out to bring home discarded neighborhood trees, which she would put in the back yard as a refuge for the birds in the winter.

We actually have two trees this year. The second one came from our woodlands, after we had bought the first, where my husband discovered that in the autumn a male deer had girdled one of his 18-foot tall trees, effectively killing it. So, he took the tree down, and the top 7 feet are now a second Christmas tree.

skeptic7
        Participant

I thought you were talking about a Christmas Tree cookie or bread when I read the Title. I like the pictures of cinnamon rolls in Xmas tree shape, or better yet a sweet bread baked in the Christmas Tree pans. I keep thinking of getting one but its such a single use item. Perhaps if I run into one in the thrift store.
          I like the idea of trees being put out for wild life refuge in the winter and then mulch in the spring. Live Xmas trees seem like a good idea but few people have enough space to plant them. I had a little Norfolk pine that I raised from a seedling to nearly 4 feet tall not including pot, but my mother finally had to give it away when I was in college. It was getting too big to easily bring inside.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Juniper berries and pine nuts may have a place in cooking (although my wife can't stand pine nuts), and possibly even pine needles, but I don't think the rest of the tree does.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

My first house had a living Christmas tree that the previous owner had set outside between the house and garage. It was taller than the house 35 years later. I took it down because it was a hazard and added immense value to my neighbors as I gave them water views!

Anyone remember the old, Ewell Gibbons Grapenuts commercial?

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

My first house had a living Christmas tree that the previous owner had set outside between the house and garage. It was taller than the house 35 years later. I took it down because it was a hazard and added immense value to my neighbors as I gave them water views!

Anyone remember the old, Ewell Gibbons Grapenuts commercial?

BakerAunt
                Participant

Ah, yes, Ewell Gibbons and Grape Nuts. My high school German class had a project in which we videotaped commercials in German, and being teenagers, of course we did parody commercials. One student took on the persona of Gibbons, and as he ate a pine branch at the end, the rest of the students sang O Tannenebaum off camera. These videos were still being shown to German classes when my sister, who is thirteen years younger than I, studied German in high school. (In mine, I was an interviewer asking my petite friend about her box--back when it came in boxes!--of Tide, and her response was that as a player for the Wupertal Wupperwinds--don't ask me where we got that name--she needed to keep her soccer jersey clean.)

navlys
                  Participant

That's funny!

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Aaron, when we moved into our house in Massachusetts, the former owners had planted theirs in the front yard 3/4 of the way from the house to the front wall. When it got taller than my husband we moved it to a corner of the property. After a few years we had the landscaper come and string the large white bulbs around it - we never took them off and as it grew you could see it from a couple of streets away - it must have been 40 ft tall when we moved. The hardest time I had was keeping my husband from having the lights on year round! I allowed him to start December 1st and we kept them up through January 6th.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.