Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of July 17, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of July 17, 2016?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Cooking has been simple, since we were eating at the family reunion, and my husband's family has terrific cooks and bakers. We grabbed a rotisserie chicken for mid-week, and Friday night I made Sloppy Josephines.

It's not exactly cooking, but jam making is on the horizon for next week.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Tried my hand at creating a tilapia recipe, since I hadn't found one I liked anywhere, came out good enough that I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

Melted some butter, added dried parsley and dill weed and some tomato sauce, then the fish, with a bit of salt and pepper. Sauce came out a bit too thick, but otherwise it was very good.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        Italiancook
        Participant

I made Coq au Vin from "Cook-Ahead Cookery" by Theodora Zavin & Fredda Stuart. I never drink alcohol, but I enjoy cooking with it occasionally. This recipe calls for red wine. For the first time, I used Merlot. I am quite pleased with the taste it gave the final product.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I don't drink wine much, either, but use it a fair amount in cooking. I have some Australian shriraz and cabernet/shiraz wines that are very good in dishes like coq au vin and beef bourguignon.

Italiancook
            Participant

I've never seen Australian wine, but I only look for wine when I need it for a recipe. I've always used Burgundy in beef bourguignon.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I made a Greek Panzanella Salad from Barefoot Contessa and it was really good. I liked that she toasted the bread like croutons instead of using stale bread. Next time I'll bake the croutons rather than sauté them. I also baked some really nice cod, sautéed summer squash and tried one of Ina's recipes for risotto cakes. They were really disappointing. So much so that it's a recipe that's not even worth trying to fix. Oh well, most of her recipes we've really enjoyed. I also roasted a batch of vegetables.

rottiedogs
                Participant

This week was ribs and steaks on the grill. Assorted veggies and garlic bread for sides. The leftover steak made good sandwiches with provolone cheese and roasted peppers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.