Thu. Oct 1st, 2026

RiversideLen

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 2,650 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of February 25, 2024? #41990
    RiversideLen
    Participant

      Can they be used both ways? Otherwise you've got a pan with limited uses.

      The one made by Lodge can be. The other one, the Challenger, the base can be used as a griddle.

      Skeptic, I agree, that one especially (the Challenger) is really heavy. Cast iron in general is heavy.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of February 25, 2024? #41987
      RiversideLen
      Participant

        America's Test Kitchen tested a couple of cast iron bread ovens, which is similar to baking in a Dutch oven but they are "upside down" so you put the large part over the base once you have put your shaped dough on it. I found it interesting.

        I hope my link works, you can skip to about 13 min 20 seconds if you don't want to hear about the other things they reviewed.

        America's Test Kitchen Cast Iron Ovens

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 25, 2024? #41986
        RiversideLen
        Participant

          I made garlic mashed potatoes. I put a smashed garlic clove in with the potatoes as they are simmering. I whipped them (with my hand mixer) with milk, a touch of butter and some parmesan cheese. This caused mashed potato to fly all over my stove top (need to use a taller pot next time). The potatoes were good with just a little garlic in the background. I could put in more parm next time. I had it with a stuffed pepper and brussels sprouts. I have enough potato left for tomorrow.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 25, 2024? #41977
          RiversideLen
          Participant

            I made stuffed peppers yesterday. I had one with pasta and broccoli.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 18, 2024? #41949
            RiversideLen
            Participant

              I made bone in chicken breasts. Had one with rice and fresh carrot and canned peas.

              in reply to: Hand Mixer Woes #41945
              RiversideLen
              Participant

                BA, I wonder if contacting Cuisinart would do any good. I once had a ThermoWorks probe that wasn't working, I contacted them and they replaced it even though it was out of warranty. It doesn't cost anything to ask.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 18, 2024? #41931
                RiversideLen
                Participant

                  Leftovers, the same as yesterday.

                  in reply to: Hand Mixer Woes #41926
                  RiversideLen
                  Participant

                    I had an uncle who had an electric shop where they rebuilt electric motors. He told me that the small motors were designed in such a way that you couldn't open them up (I suppose you could cut them open but then you wouldn't be able to close them up again). So they didn't rebuild the small ones, if you had a problem you'd have to buy a new one. I just looked at my Cuisinart hand held and don't see a way to open up the case. My electric razor instructions say not to try to replace the battery because if you open up the case, you won't be able to put it back together (when the battery needs replacing, the razor needs replacing). The small stuff just isn't made to be repaired. Even if you could, the cost of repair would probably exceed the cost of replacement.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 18, 2024? #41925
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

                      I made a pork chop, scalloped potatoes and brussels sprouts.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 18, 2024? #41906
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

                        I had chicken meatballs and pasta yesterday, with green beans and carrots.

                        Tonight will be the same, but with brussels sprouts .

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 11, 2024? #41905
                        RiversideLen
                        Participant

                          On Friday I made a batch of chicken meatballs to freeze.

                          in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of February 11, 2024? #41888
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

                            I usually put some flaxseed meal in my bread, doesn't make it feel rough. But I hydrate it first, an ounce of water to a tablespoon of flaxseed meal. It just takes a few minutes.

                            This afternoon, I made brownies from a box mix.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 11, 2024? #41852
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

                              The half time show really didn't do anything for me, I guess I'm getting old, lol. I did enjoy the game but also was hoping for the 49ers to win but it really didn't matter too much. For dinner I had leftover chicken, rice and gravy and broccoli.

                              Tonight I made garlic mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts and simmered left over chicken in mole sauce.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 4, 2024? #41836
                              RiversideLen
                              Participant

                                On Saturday, I roasted a spatchcock chicken. Seasoned it with a little melted butter, thyme and salt and roasted it at 400f. I'm happy with how it turned out. Had it with rice and broccoli.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of February 4, 2024? #41835
                                RiversideLen
                                Participant

                                  Mike, I haven't tried cauliflower crust. I really haven't given it too much thought.

                                  BA, we are all the masters of our pizzas, only limited by our imaginations. When I was a kid, my father used to buy John's frozen pizza, the plain cheese variety, that he would use as a late night snack. Well, growing up I had a pretty large appetite and sometimes I wanted a pizza, but John's was terrible. So I would rummage through the fridge for things to put on it. Like onion, slice up a hot dog, peppers, tomato, whatever was available. They turned out pretty good once embellished. So, I guess that's why I have a non conventional way about thinking of pizza. btw, the first time my father saw me doing that he looked at me funny, like what the h*** am I doing. But it must have looked pretty good to him when it came out of the oven because he started doing the same.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 2,650 total)