What are you Cooking the Week of March 3, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of March 3, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had meatballs in marinara on cauliflower rice (and a little shredded zucchini, just to see if we liked it--not really.) We had a slice of cheese toast made with Dave's Killer Good Seed bread.

A bit high on carbs for the meal, but some days you need to splurge a bit.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We're making up for yesterday with cheese souffle tonight, under 4 carbs/serving.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I had sausage, stewed squash and a salad.

BakerAunt
          Participant

We had more of the leftover black-eyed peas with rice and ham.

chocomouse
            Participant

We had leftover pasta and sauce, with a green salad.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I had a left over pork chop, rice and broccoli.

Pork-chop

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

I had a salad and a pizza on a flour tortilla, just right.

Your plate looks good Len!

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm making Swiss Steak for supper tonight, we'll probably have it with cauliflower rice, that's kind of been our go-to replacement for pasta, rice or potatoes.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We did our big shopping trip over to the next town on Thursday. That means Aldi's, Walmart, and Kroger. We found a turkey on sale at Aldi's for 69 cents a pound, so I found a way to make a place for it in the freezer, and we will have it for Easter dinner at the end of the month. For dinner tonight, I roasted sweet potato chunks, which we had with the rest of the leftover noodles and mushrooms, leftover applesauce, and most of the rest of the chicken. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

I made chicken broth today from the chicken bones, combined with the bones from previous bone-in breasts. I plan to use it for soup tomorrow.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Pizza!

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I had a left over pork chop, brussels sprouts and Amy's macaroni and cheese.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made yogurt on Friday.

For dinner, I made Turkey, Butternut Squash, and Farro Soup. It also has carrots, celery, mushrooms, chicken broth, dehydrated onion, garlic, thyme, and kale, with a bit of apple cider vinegar added at the end to balance the kale. It was a great soup to have on a day of continuous rain. We have enough left for a couple more meals.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I've been defrosting a freezer the last two days, and I found a container of my onion soup, so we tried an experiment with French Onion Soup tonight, we used some parmesan crisps that they sell at Sams that are virtually carb-free, 19 of them is one carb. We used a half-dozen of those in place of the stale bread that traditionally goes on top, with whole milk mozzarella on top of that.

We tried one small test bowl, and both of us liked it well enough that we had full bowls of it (with one half using parmesan crisps and the other using a 25 gram slice of bread, just to complete the comparison test) for supper.

I need to work out the carbs on the soup, if you look onion soup up on the web you'll get numbers all over the map, from 8 carbs to over 45. My guess is the latter is assuming a big hunk of stale bread on top. I'm currently coming up with about 25 carbs/bowl, but I think that's probably overstating it a bit. But the ketogenic diet book I bought a while back has some sample meal plans and some of the dinners are in the 45-65 carb range, so a 35-40 carb meal is doing OK.

We had less than half of the soup from the freezer, so we've got another French Onion Soup dinner coming in the next few days. Yummy and probably reasonably keto-friendly. (I'll know for sure in the morning when I check my ketones.)

Gruyere cheese is traditional for French Onion Soup, but I've seen recipes that use paremesan or mozzarella. I've also used a four-cheese blend that we used to get at Sams that they sadly no longer carry, and I've used havarti with some mozzarella on top (because havarti will melt but it won't brown).

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I'm making another batch of custard tonight. We're going through them pretty quick, they're keto-friendly if you make them with allulose.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Yesterday I had a burger from Dairy Queen then we went to play cards,tonight I'm making a pot of venison chili,we've had rain and thunderstorms all day so this seems like a good choice.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.