Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,561 through 4,575 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Fun food links #25316
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      Sur La Table has been going downhill for years, the last time I was in one (in Omaha) half of the things I went there for, most of them that 'cool stuff you couldn't find anywhere else' were things they no longer sell.

      Bed Bath & Beyond is planning to close a lot of its stores, too.

      I remember the days when I eagerly awaited the next Brookstone catalog, and it is to the point when I often don't bother to open a King Arthur Flour catalog either.

      in reply to: Fun food links #25309
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        Chocolate was one of a number of foods that made their way from the Americas to Europe on the ships of explorers, soldiers, merchants, profiteers, and others. Others include coffee, corn, tomatoes and the potato.

        in reply to: Sheet pan pancakes #25305
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          It was advertised that it can fit a full sheet pan (I have just one), but there is almost no room around the sides for air circulation, so I seldom use it. I find the 3/4 sheet pans (almost 16x22) work very well, I have 3 of those. That limits me to about 21" long baguettes, but that's stll a pretty long baguette.

          If I could find a pan that was 17 x 24 (outside dimensions) that'd give me a bit more baking surface but still plenty of room for air circulation.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020? #25304
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            It is now officially summer, we had muskmelon with salami tonight.

            in reply to: Sheet pan pancakes #25300
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I bought a box of 1000 full sheet pan size Quilon parchment sheets a few years back, gave a stack of them to my son and still have close to a half-box left. I probably have around 75 half-sized ones from KAF left, too.

              in reply to: Another Kind of Yeast Shortage #25299
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Buzzfeed stuff comes up on my iphone all the time, I find them extremely unreliable and not trustworthy.

                in reply to: Memorial Day Potato Salad #25277
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  After several experiments, I concluded that I was missing an important ingredient, so I've changed the salt in the lead post to celery salt. That adds saltiness and also the bitterness from celery.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25276
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I've figured out the missing ingredient in my mother's oil-and-vinegar potato salad---celery salt.

                    Adding a little salt got it close, but thinking back to what she had in her spice cabinet, I remember a big bottle of celery salt. It adds the saltiness and also some bitterness, and that completed the flavor picture.

                    I've updated the 'Memorial Day Potato Salad' recipe page to add that ingredient.

                    in reply to: Another Kind of Yeast Shortage #25275
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Not that I plan to run out and buy any Marmite, but I'm wondering just what they thought it could be used for. But then, I've got some other products in the pantry that some people might wonder what they're used for, too.

                      in reply to: Another Kind of Yeast Shortage #25272
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        If you read the article, this is what I'd call a second-level effect, the shutdown of the pubs in Britain has led to slowdowns in the brewing industry, and Marmite is made from (used) brewer's yeast, which is now in short supply.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020? #25255
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          We're having leftover chicken and some salad.

                          in reply to: KAF reports 2000% increase in online flour sales #25252
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I've been using BRM Semolina lately, it is available locally and I think it is a little cheaper than KAF. When cooler weather comes, I may buy a large bag of it from some place like The Baker's Authority.

                            I tried to buy a 20 pound bag of it on Amazon earlier this year but I don't think the supplier really had it in stock, when I asked why it hadn't shipped yet a week later, they claimed not to have received the order from Amazon and now they aren't showing that product at all. I've had more problems with Amazon this year than in the last 4-5 years combined.

                            The last time I made Semolina bread I used equal parts of durum flour, semolina and KAF AP flour, but I'm just about out of durum flour and I don't remember where I got it from, probably KAF.

                            I also used barley malt syrup instead of sugar in that recipe, and it affects both the color and the taste, which affects what it works well with.

                            I think I'll do the next one with regular sugar again, and then maybe try one with non-diastatic barley malt powder, which doesn't color the bread as much as barley malt syrup does.

                            in reply to: Another Kind of Yeast Shortage #25251
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Marmite seems to be kind of an acquired taste, but I've seen a number of recipes for it lately, it must be gaining some new devotees.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020? #25240
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I used the bones from the chicken carcass to make a small batch of chicken stock.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25232
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  I've never heard of having mashed potatoes with beany-weenie, Cass. I like it with a slice of freshly baked bread.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,561 through 4,575 (of 8,095 total)