Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,546 through 4,560 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Frying doughnuts #25409
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      Here's an article from the Oregonian that looked at 12 donut places (one of the original choices was closed that day), Voodoo came in 12th, Blue Star came in 11th.

      Portland Donuts

      in reply to: Frying doughnuts #25393
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        Krispy Kreme donuts have never been 'it' for me. And Voodoo Donuts in Portland OR were just so-so, IMHO. (My son tells me the in crowd goes somewhere else these days, anyway.)

        We've got LaMars, and they're pretty doggone good!

        • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020? #25390
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          We had tomato and salami sandwiches on the freshly baked semolina bread.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020? #25385
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            Wonder if they ever figured out that salmon are predators? My wife won't eat salmon, but I like it.

            in reply to: Frying doughnuts #25384
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              KAF has a good recipe for baked donut holes.

              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of July 5, 2020? #25383
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I made semolina bread, with 2/3 semolina/durum and 1/3 AP and regular sugar instead of malt syrup.

                Came out REALLY good.

                in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25380
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  You may need to talk to a water expert, and I don't mean Culligan.

                  in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25378
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    We installed a R/O system in our kitchen when we built the house, they're a bit of work to maintain, there are several filters and they all have to be replaced periodically. When it broke the last time, I just turned it off.

                    BTW, I think they waste a lot of water, because they're always running. YOu also have to be careful what you use R/O water in, it has so much of the mineral content removed that it can damage some pans.

                    in reply to: Daily Quiz for July 11, 2020 #25377
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      We often see wild turkeys near Wilderness Park, but they're seen all over town. They're totally unafraid of cars these days, sometimes blocking traffic.

                      in reply to: Fun food links #25358
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        A few years back SFBI did a blog post about how they created a full-sized Christmas tree out of bread for their lobby.

                        I saw a picture of a 4 foot long alligator made from bread lately.

                        Has anyone ever made cream puff swans?

                        in reply to: Frying doughnuts #25342
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I can't remember the last time I fried anything, we don't even have a fryer, so I'm going to be of no help here. I've done some shallow fat frying in a cast iron pan, but not recently.

                          in reply to: Fun food links #25335
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I've got a book from 1987, 'Special and Decorative Breads', that has all sorts of interesting bread shapes and, in most cases, instructions for making them.

                            in reply to: Daily Quiz for July 9, 2020 #25330
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Sorry about not getting a quiz posted for the 8th, I was working on a project and just lost track of the time.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020? #25329
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I think we're having salami and tomato sandwiches tonight and probably some of the melon, since we only ate half of it last night.

                                in reply to: Fun food links #25328
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  I have a dough docker that I got from SFBI, but most of the time I just use a fork.

                                  There are still a few specialized catalog/mail order houses for cooks out there, but their pricing tends to be rather high on items and several of them seem focused on mixes as well. Some of them also serve as Amazon sellers, often with lower prices there.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,546 through 4,560 (of 8,095 total)