Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,516 through 4,530 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25693
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      It sort of depends on your grill, if there are hot spots and cold spots, as there are in most ovens, rotating helps even things out, but at the cost of losing a bunch of thermal energy every time you open it up.

      in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25673
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        They will certainly keep the kingarthurflour.com domain name, because they won't want anyone else to grab it, and at that point having a CNAME entry that equates it with the new domain name costs nothing.

        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25668
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I think I got Cass's latest post released from the spam queue but it is several posts back.

          in reply to: Changes at King Arthur Flour #25659
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            What historical connection to King Arthur is that? They took the name 230 years ago and have no ties I'm aware of to Medieval English flour mills.

            One of the BBGA members has reported in the BBGA forum that he has switched from King Arthur to a different flour source because of consistency issues.

            I'm hoping that's just a temporary issue caused by the flour panic.

            in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25658
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I'm not sure 'modern' historians still say we won World War II.

              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25650
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Actually, I'm not at all surprised to see it happen again, it appears to be a counting issue and once the count is off in a thread, I think it stays off.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2020? #25649
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I wonder if a perforated pizza pan would work better in a charcoal grill?

                  If you've never tried to bake a pizza at 600 degrees or higher, it is a big change from using lower temperaturs.

                  in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #25648
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Lincoln has a mask order starting today. Update: The governor is looking into whether he can overrule the mayor. This kind of petty fighting isn't going to make COVID19 go away. :sigh:

                    Stores like WalMart, CVS, Walgreens and Target all are requiring masks for all people in their stores.

                    in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25610
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      And when I make soup or chili, we'll reheat it for several days, or freeze it for meals down the road.

                      in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25587
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        My wife will eat some leftovers but not others, and I've never figured out a pattern to it in 47+ years. She won't eat left over spaghetti, but she will eat the cheese toast I make to go with spaghetti, and she'll eat left over lasagna or pizza. She won't eat left over stir fry, but she will eat left over pot roast. Go figure!

                        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25575
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          The odd thing is it doesn't always happen when a thread hits a multiple of the block size (currently 15), so it must have something to do with how individual pages are counted, which may have to do with things like editing posts, the dreaded spam filter trap, etc.

                          I took a look at the code but it is so labyrinthine that I'm hesitant to even touch it.

                          in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25573
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I found the Stella Parks recipe went moldy faster than most breads. But my go-to whole wheat bread is only 50% whole wheat and has 4 ounces of honey in it (for 2 loaves), and sugar/honey acts as a preservative, so it prolongs shelf life by a couple of days.

                            But these days, with just the 2 of us, almost any breads I make are cut up and most of it frozen.

                            in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25558
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I think that was just a shaping issue combined with some rising as they were waiting to go in the water.

                              The problem with the 'hole in the middle' method is the hole will shrink if the dough contracts. The 'wrap around the hand' method tends to produce a more uniform sized hole, because the dough doesn't contract as much, but it doesn't work with big hands and small (3 ounce) bagels.

                              in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25553
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I've never really understood yeast flakes. They're deactivated yeast, and are used as a flavoring or nutritional supplement. They're supposed to have a flavor reminiscent of cheese.

                                Marmite is even weirder, IMHO.

                                in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of July 12, 2020? #25544
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  My experience with barley malt syrup is that it gets really thick as water evaporates out. What I do is add some hot water to the jar and let it sit for a few days, that gets it back to a more liquid state.

                                  Here's a shot of all 3 sets of bagels from today:

                                  bagels4

                                  The 30 second one is on the left, the 3 minute one on the right. There's far less color difference in this photo compared to the two I posted yesterday.

                                  I put them in a micro-perforated bag overnight, this morning they didn't seem either dried out or soggy, and the the chewiness seemed the same as yesterday. Bagels tend to go moldy in regular un-perforated bags after a few days, I'll see how these do, assuming they last that long; we've eaten 4 of 9 so far.

                                  Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,516 through 4,530 (of 8,095 total)