What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've made peach cobbler from frozen peaches, you really do need to let them defrost. However, if you make a dessert peach pizza, you can put them on still frozen.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I baked a cold oven cream cheese pound cake yesterday,turned out good but one place near the bottom didn't look quite done or fell in one small area across the bottom.It tasted good anyways I went and got my sister today,she will be with me a few days and this is her favorite.She told me don't worry ,it'll get ate.

BakerAunt
        Participant

That pound cake sounds delicious, Joan. Enjoy your visit with your sister!

I pulled out the last 2 cups of grated long-necked squash that I froze last year and baked “Squash, Whole Wheat, and Oat Quick Bread,” which is my adaptation of a Ken Haedrich recipe in The Harvest Baker. I baked it in a 4-loaf Bundt pan—an older dark one—and used The Grease to coat it. I also reduced the oven temperature to 325F and baked it on the third rack up. We will cut into one for dessert tonight. I’ll probably leave a second one out, but the other two are destined for the freezer as desserts for when the heat returns.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made 2 loaves of Multigrain Sunflower Bread from KAF that I asked for help troubleshooting with in another thread. Lots of wonderful help.

The bread was good despite my problems. My Mom loved it and I will definitely make it again with modifications.

Italiancook
            Participant

I made a loaf of French bread from The Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery. I reduced the yeast by 1/4 teaspoon. With 2 teaspoons yeast, both rises were normal length. But there wasn't as much oven rise. The reduction didn't affect the crumb. I can't say I'll go back to the 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast because of the yeast shortage, but I prefer the higher oven rise.

The bread is crustier than I like. Would brushing-on the egg white wash too heavily make it crustier? I used a newer brush that I think is 4" and have only used twice before. I'm thinking it may have picked up too much of the egg wash.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm not sure but I don't think the egg wash was a major factor in the heavy crust, the type of dough and the baking temperature may have had more impact.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I tried making Chickpea Flour Crackers using my electronic pizzelle maker. I wrote about it on the "Chickpea Cracker Recipe" thread. I'm disappointed in the non-crispy result. I'll find another use for the small bag of chickpea flour I bought to try this recipe.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I am baking my Rye-Barley Crispbread today. I had hoped to get an early morning start, but we have been dealing with a catalpa tree that came down last night in a storm and took down the power line to our pole barn and blocked the road, which is the main way into town from the south, not to mention the road used by all the fishermen towing boats to the landing. The line has now been dealt with, the road cleared, and my husband is cutting up the tree with his chainsaw. Insurance and neighbor (dented their gutter) have been called. We are fortunate that the tree missed almost all of the structure, although we have some damage to the edge of the roof.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Thank you, BakerAunt! You saved the day! I wanted to use the new recipe pizza dough I made 3 days ago for lunch. Artichoke and Bacon pizza. I started the bacon parcooking in the skillet. Cut up the mozzarella cheese while bacon was working. I prefer to grate mozzarella, but I can only find it sliced. I cut it into smallish cubes. Then, I quartered the artichokes. Removed bacon to a bowl with slotted spoon. Stretched out the dough on parchment and moved it to sheet pan. Ready to build pizza.

Alas! I had no sauce. I had forgotten to make the oil and garlic sauce, and now I was at a critical stage with dough stretched and toppings ready. What to do? I remembered BakerAunt smears tomato paste on the crust for sauce. I rushed to the pantry and chose organic tomato paste. Smeared it on, added toppings, and 22 minutes later, plus 5 minutes resting, we had delicious pizza. I think the tomato paste makes it taste more like a Sicilian pizza, and that's a good thing, too.

The new recipe with just bread flour was good, but we prefer crust with semolina in it. And parbaked before the toppings are added. So KAF's Now or Later Pizza recipe will become my go-to.

skeptic7
                      Participant

Mike; I've never made a peach pizza. Can you tell me some more about it?

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I'm glad that was helpful, Italian Cook. I usually buy tomato paste in tubes and keep the opened one in the refrigerator. I buy it at Tuesday Morning, but I probably am not going to get to that store for a long time. The one I use also seems to include basil.

One of the great things about Nebraska Kitchen is all of these "small" tips we pick up from each other. They really come in handy!

kimbob
                          Participant

Shortcake biscuits for strawberry shortcake.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I usually do dessert pizzas with a thin crust, but here's the basics, I often do them on the gas grill outdoors.

Roll the crust out and par-bake it. Add the toppings then bake it the rest of the way. Cut and serve.

Dessert Pizza Toppings, the peach one is our favorite:

Spread butter on the crust, add brown sugar, peaches and dust with cinnamon. The butter and brown sugar will combine to make butterscotch.

Spread peanut butter on the crust, top with banana slices. (I guess this is the Elvis Special.) If you prefer, you can use chocolate kisses instead of banana slices, or do both.

Spread chocolate shavings on the crust, sprinkle with granulated sugar. For an added dimension, put on strawberry slices.

Spread apple pie filling on the crust.

Spread honey on the crust, top with brown sugar. Bake until crisp on top.

I haven't figured out a good one with cherries yet. I've tried sour cherry jam and sliced bing cherries with butter and/or sugar, neither really ran the bell.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

I made sourdough on Friday. I made a two pound loaf which seems to be the right amount for my pans and then five 3 oz rolls. But the rolls came out rounder and I would rather they be flatter like sandwich rolls so the shaping will take more work.

Then I went to feed my starter today and both jars were moldy on top. 🙁 I dumped about 20 ounces of starter out, pulled out a clean jar and am starting from scratch. Not sure why it molded. Maybe I need to start refrigerating it. I put it in a clean jar twice a week. I wonder how fast I can build up a new starter. I started with two ounces of whole wheat flour and two ounces of water.

Looks like I'll be making whole wheat bread for a while until I build up my starter.

kimbob
                                Participant

Made morning glory muffins from the kaf whole wheat book. Alot of ingredients but well worth the effort. I didn't have orange juice so substituted water but used some blood orange infused olive oil in with the vegetable oil which gave them a great subtle orange flavor. I chopped the apple rather than grating it. It made 18 reg muffins (recipe said 12). Very moist and delicious. Will definitely make them again.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.