Sheet pan pancakes

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Sheet pan pancakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I saw an interesting recipe in the New York Times for a baked pancake. This is a huge pancake made in a half sheet pan and then cut into manageable rectangles. It uses three cups of flour and three cups of milk so thats enough for six people.
      Has anyone made anything similar to this? I can see it would be easier when having a group for breakfast but I wonder about the texture. I don't have any need to make so many pancakes at once and I don't want to use the oven during this season.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020402-sheet-pan-chocolate-chip-pancakes?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=2

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For some reason, my reply didn't post. I suspect it is in one of the spam folders, so it will have to wait until Mike finds it. I didn't even edit!!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The only spam post I saw was from Joan, and it has been released.

BakerAunt
          Participant

That is weird, because the system claimed that I had already posted and that my second attempt was identical to my first, so it would not post it. I now think that I must have edited and forgotten to uncheck the "keep a log of this edit" box.

At any rate, Skeptic, Bob's Red Mill has two recipes for pan pancakes: one using their mix, and a banana one made from scratch. I had posted the links, but maybe that is what got me in trouble. The BRM recipe section needs help in terms of being able to find recipes easily, which is why I had posted the links. The banana one looks very good.

skeptic7
            Participant

Baker Aunt Thank you. These are wonderful recipes. There is a whole wheat pan pancake that also looks very good. It has fig jam swirled in. I wonder what that would be like with strawberry jam. I think I'll try on the next cool morning.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

It;s funny. Someone just sent me a recipe like this this week. I think it's Bob's Red Mill. I can definitely see the attraction of popping a sheet pan into the oven instead of standing in front of the griddle. I may try this next week.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I received the same email, Aaron, but did not pay attention initially because it used their mix. However, further exploration showed from scratch recipes on their website, one of which uses our favorite buckwheat.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

I made three dozen pancakes this morning. Two dozen remain and only two out of five people ate any. I think I am definitely ready for sheet pan pancakes.

skeptic7
                    Participant

By the time I came back from the grocery store, it was too hot to use the oven. Aaron how long does it take you to make pancakes? It would take me 20-30 minutes to make 6 small pancakes whereas baking the pancakes look like it would take 30 minutes to heat the oven and 15 minutes to bake, but should make 15 pancakes. It would be worth it on a cold morning but not on a hot morning.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

What do you do with leftover pancakes, Aaron?

When I have leftover pancake batter, I have baked it in the KAF bun pan (muffin pans can also be used), or maybe it could be put into a sheet pan?

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

BA, I pack the pancakes into freezer bags, one dozen per bag, and put them in the freezer. I have one son who eats pancakes every day until there gone. Most weeks I don't run out until Friday or Saturday. His big brother usually does not eat them for breakfast but sometimes will eat some late at night.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Skeptic, it takes me half an hour to 45 minutes to make the pancakes. I usually have six going at once (although my griddles is dying). Sheet pancakes might take the same amount of time but would be less effort as I could just pop them in the oven as a opposed to tending the griddle.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

My wife asked me why anyone would do a sheet pancake, I said it probably made it easier for everyone to sit down and eat at the same time. The biggest problem with making pancakes or waffles is that the cook doesn't get to sit down to eat until the pancakes or waffles are all done.

Do you have a problem with them sticking to the pan?

skeptic7
                              Participant

I just did one this morning. It didn't stick to the pan because I lined it with parchment paper. I did the Bob's Red Mill recipe with fig swirls only I put in spoonfuls of strawberry jelly instead o fig spread. THis wasn't a good idea. the Jelly is too solid to blend with the batter and just sits there as a blog -- or a set of blobs for the ones I broke up.
                                The good thing about the pancakes is it has a true pancake texture, soft, spongy and with big holes. It worked wonderfully as a base for strawberries and yogurt, I am going to hope it warms up well. It made enough for the next 4 days.
                                The advantage of using the oven is that you don't have to stand over it. You can start cleaning up while the pancake is baking.

skeptic7
                                Participant

I found one of the advantages of pancakes over muffins for breakfast, is that cold pancakes are moister and softer than cold muffins. I heat muffins slightly before eating them, but can eat pancakes out of the refrigerator.

Aaron,
                                  How do you deal with your frozen pancakes? Do you put them in the toaster? oven? microwave? before eating them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.