What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I may make Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake today.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made a rhubarb cobbler. Much preferred over the rhubarb crisp I made last week.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Why the preference? Was it the filling, the type of crust?

chocomouse
          Participant

Mike, the filling was identical. The flavor is the same. The cobbler topping is more cake-like, and soaks up some of the juices, to make a soft, wet, almost pudding-like texture that is sweet-tart. The crisp is hard and crunchy, and did not soak up any liquid. Neither of us likes the crunchy.

BakerAunt
            Participant

With temperatures in the low 80s (and a bit of rain!), it is a good day to bake. I baked my Lime Bundt cake again. This time, I split the batter between two small Bundt pans (swirl and standard) so that I can freeze one unglazed for later use. For these pans, an additional cup of batter would have filled out the pans a little more, but they still came out well. I think that the small swirl pan might be larger than the other pan. I baked them on the third shelf up for 45 minutes, after checking at 40 minutes

RiversideLen
              Participant

I've been meaning to bake something for a while now, so today I made a BRM vanilla cake mix. I added a teaspoon of cake spice to it. Instead of using the 3 eggs it calls for, I used one whole egg and 2 egg whites. It came out fine. For the frosting I used a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with a cup of confectioners sugar, a fair amount of cocoa powder and warmed milk. Then I topped it with some shredded coconut.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Monday, I baked the KAF recipe for Raisin-Pecan Rye Bread. I followed the directions for the Biga that I made the night before, but I made some changes in the subsequent ingredients: I used 1 cup pumpernickel, ½ cup white whole wheat and ½ cup KAF AP. I also reduced the yeast to 1 ¾ tsp., substituted ½ cup buttermilk for that much water, reduced the salt to 1 tsp., and used 1 ½ Tbs. olive oil in place of the butter. I used golden raisins. I baked it in the baking bowl I bought years ago from KAF, greased and coated with farina. I baked for 50 minutes on the second shelf of my oven and tented it, as stated, in the final 15 minutes. It smells and looks good, although one side is slightly fallen. I need to work on my shaping. I’ll cut into it tomorrow as an accompaniment to breakfast.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Yesterday I did Rosemary Focaccio bread since I had to cut out a Rosemary that was growing out of its bed. I thought I was just cutting it back but found out I had cut the main stem of a plant that was growing sideways. I still have plenty of Rosemary left and I won't be able to use it up.
                    I also did a whole wheat scone with candied orange peel. This is nicely sweetened with honey. Its going well with strawberries and yogurt.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Rosemary lasts a long time after it has been cut, I have a sprig of it on the shelf above the stove and I've been using small amounts of it for months.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

I made sourdough bread Sunday

I also tried to make a 'smores pizza. That was a mess but I learned a lot and will try again. First my pizzas have almost no lip on the crust edge. I need that to keep the marshmallows on the crust.

I need to par-bake the crust first.

I put marshmallows on the edge and then in. I need to start at the center and add them out leaving a lot of room for expansion.

Most of the mess was contained on the parchment but I did have to clean my stone and peel a little.

This morning I made sourdough crackers.

With the crackers I used a mix of butter and canola oil. They still have a strong sour taste so it must be my starter. I will either need to come up with a milder starter or a cracker without it.

I cut one set with a pizza cutter and one with a square biscuit cutter. I like the biscuit cutter look better.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Aaron--maybe a milk-based starter gives a less sour taste to the crackers?

Paddy's Buttermilk Starter is also here at Nebraska Kitchen. I recall the Dachshundlady liked it a lot. I think that Chocomouse has also used it.

I'm looking at two non-sourdough cracker recipes to try:

"Thin Wheat Crackers," in Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads (pp. 291-292)

"Crispy Rye and Seed Crackers," in Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day (pp. 133-136). He says that you can substitute wheat flour or white whole wheat flour for the rye.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

The crackers were gone by early afternoon. I left them out on a sheet pan and both my boys liked them. Plus my wife kept eating them even though she didn't like them. I liked the biscuit cutter crackers to the pizza cutter crackers so I'll do that for the whole batch next time. Also thanks for the tip on oils BA. While they were still sour the neutral oil mellowed them. And they are a quick, easy way to use up some starter when I have discard.

skeptic7
                            Participant

Aaron, congratulations on the crackers.

I did cheese pizza with rosemary sprinkled on the pizza underneath the cheese layer. This was my favorite whole wheat pizza dough, its good to have whole wheat flour again!

Italiancook
                              Participant

I made peach cobbler for dinner. It's my dad's recipe, and I think it needs to bake longer. But the issue might be that I'm using frozen, unthawed peaches. Maybe they need to thaw and be drained for the top to not be so watery on the bottom.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I baked a cream cheese cold oven pound cake yesterday.It was really good but looked like it didn't get done in one small place at the bottom,but we enjoyed it.I went to get my sister today she will be with me a few days and this is one of her favorites.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.