Multigrain Sunflower Bread

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Multigrain Sunflower Bread

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/multigrain-sunflower-bread-recipe

I am going to see my Mom on Thursday morning. Her favorite bread is the La Brea Sunflower Bread. I would like to make this bread to take to her as a treat (I know the crust will be different). But the taste will be better.

My question is: I am working all day tomorrow. I want to come home and throw this all in the bread machine on the dough cycle (I think I'll make two loaves). Can I put it in the fridge after I take it out of the bread machine and then take it out and let it rise in the am before baking? I'd love it to be nice and fresh and I have plenty of time before I see her (10:30 am). Would you put in the fridge in a bowl or shape and put in pans?

Thanks for your help!

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

cwcdesign I've panned up bread before and had no problems with an overnight rise.The recipe sounds very good.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

I've not done shaped bread overnight, but I have shaped sweet rolls and let them rise in the pan overnight, then baked them in the morning. I usually let the pan sit on the counter while I'm pre-heating the oven. Depending on the rise, a loaf might need to rest on the counter longer before baking.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Thanks for your help - I will get it ready and if it needs more rise, I can let it sit. It's so crazy how fast bread rises here in Georgia, that sometimes I think it loses some of its flavor and the overnight rise in fridge might help.

I'll let you all know how it works!

cwcdesign
            Participant

I made the dough and double everything but the yeast - it called for 2 teaspoons yeast for one loaf. My inclination was to reduce it but since I was making 2 loaves and I’d never made it before, I decided to leave it at 2. When the dough cycle was done, the dough was to the top of the bread pan, but it was almost like a batter but lots of sticky gluten strands. Since I couldn’t form my loaves, I poured the dough into a bowl, deflated it some and stuck it in the fridge. I’ll see what looks like in the morning and go from there - I hope I can make it work because it has good flavor.

Stay tuned

BakerAunt
              Participant

If it is still sticky tomorrow, be sure to have your hands slightly wet (or with a bit of oil on them). You may have to do some stretch folds. It sounds like that sourdough raisin bread I made a few weeks back where I had to flatten and fold a couple of times, then pull in the sides after shaping before I could get it into the pan. Good luck.

cwcdesign
                Participant

I had a sinking feeling that I should have gone ahead and panned the loafs and baked them last night. This morning the dough had risen more in the bowl, but it was easier to handle. I did use flour on the KAF mat and a little on my hands to shape. But, I over proofed them. The recipe said to let them rise an inch above the pan, but after about 1 hour and 15 minutes, they had just peaked over the top - since I was running out of time, I decided to go ahead and bake them and they shrank down below the top of the pan. I just cut a piece to try it - it tastes good and it's a tight crumb. The temp was 190º but it seems a little doughty on the bottom. We will certainly eat it and I will try again with half the amount of yeast. At this time, it's the only change I think I need to make.

I do think my Mom will enjoy it though. I gave it to her with a pound of chicken salad from our Market - she will have some good sandwiches for the next few days.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I'm glad that at least it tastes good, CWCdesign. I looked at the recipe. I agree with not doubling the yeast, as 1 tsp. per loaf seems plenty to me. I'm not sure that too much yeast was the issue.

I am wondering if letting it do the first rise in the bread machine might be part of the problem. I have a Zo that I bought at a garage sale that I use for kneading single recipe loaves and sweet rolls. I always turn off the pre-heat in the dough cycle. I don't let it rise in the machine due to a "skin" forming on top of the dough, but I've noticed that I get a faster first rise due to the warmth the bread machine gives it even from mixing. Possibly you could remove the dough after the machine finishes its kneading, then go ahead and put it in a greased container in the refrigerator and let it rise overnight. You could then shape and do the second rise the next morning. First rises seem to take longer anyway.

I'm now curious to try this bread, although I'd probably substitute in some whole wheat flour.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

You’re right on all counts BakerAunt. I had the preheat off and though about and then turned it back on. Ironically, I usually only use it when my ingredients are cold and I had no cold ingredients for this recipe. That one I’ll excuse because of a brain fart after a long, hot day on my feet.

I also thought that next time, I would take it out after the kneading. Some white whole wheat would be a great addition to the recipe - I plan on that as well.

My mom really enjoyed and after having 2 pieces as part of my lunch it’s a definite keeper - I do think the overnight in the fridge helped with the flavor and I’m glad I only used 25 grams of sesame seeds.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Glad your bread turned out good cwcdesign.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

You can try cutting the yeast back, using colder liquids or even ice water to cool the dough or finding a cooler place for it to rise, possibly some time in in the refrigerator.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Was just reading about the Cheese Burger Buns on KAF and someone asked the question about making the dough and then putting it in the fridge for a few days. Here was the response - similar to Mike's comment above.
                            "you could replace the bulk (or first) fermentation of 60-90 minutes with a longer, cooler rise in the fridge overnight. In order to stretch out that cool rise to several days, you'd need to drastically reduce the amount of yeast in the recipe to something like 1/4-1/2 tsp. Otherwise your dough will over-proof during that long rest in the fridge. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF"

Makes sense since that's how I make my pizza dough from The Baking Steel.

Will was afraid the bread wouldn't be very good when I told him it didn't rise - even in its shortened state, he said it was really good. I also think I could have baked it another 5 minutes even though the temp was 190º

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Stanley Ginsberg uses an internal temperature in the 190-195 range for a number of his recipes, I personally find 200 to be a better target for most breads.

On recipes I'm familiar with, I go more by smell than appearance or temperature, and by the time the bread smells right the internal temperature is often in the 205 range.

I have taken to double-panning some recipes lately, that way the bottom doesn't get overbaked before the top is done.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Mine often come out at around 195-200 even at shorter times than the recipe calls for. My oven runs about 14º high - that's one thing I like about an oven where you can digitally set the temperature. I also check 5-10 minutes before any recipe says it should be done.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.