Sheet pan pancakes

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Sheet pan pancakes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi Skeptic. I almost made sheet pan pancakes this weekend but went the old-fashioned route.

I put them in the microwave. If I am really fussy I'll wrap them in a paper towel and put them in the microwave as this softens them better than just on a plate. But my middle eats them so fast he barely chews them. And now he is making them himself.

Waffles I put in the toaster but I haven't made those in a while.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I warm pancakes, cornbread, and sometimes muffins by wrapping the lightly in waxed paper then microwaving.

Yes, waffles in the toaster. I've tried toaster ovens but the toaster wins out.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I stopped buying wax paper when I started using parchment. When do you use one versus the other?

My grandmother used to put breads in brown paper bags and warm them in the oven by the heat of the pilot light but our pilot light oven is long gone.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I use waxed paper for the aforesaid re-heating in the microwave.

I sometimes use it to hold ingredients, such as grated Parmesan cheese--grate on then easily put into a recipe. When I buy a new can of the Vermont Baking Powder from KAF (will they ever get it back in stock?!), I sift it onto baking powder, then move it to my own tight-lid container.

I've used it to cover a pan while working with raw meat.

I used to use it to wrap caramels, back when I could eat those and had people with whom to share them.

I would never use it for baking now that we have parchment, but I do recall my mother using it to line round cake pans. She also wrapped our sandwiches in it for school--in the days before baggies and before re-useable Tupperware sandwich boxes.

I think parchment is more expensive than parchment paper, so where the great qualities of parchment are not needed, I use waxed paper.

It also comes in handy for getting seeds stuck into my crispbread. After I sprinkle on the sunflower and sesame seed, I cover it with a piece of waxed paper, then roll over so that the seeds adhere. (I have to do half at a time, as the waxed paper is not as large.) My concern is that the egg wash and seeds might stick to the saran wrap.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

BakerAunt I use a lot of wax paper too,flouring when I fry or grating cheese on,easy clean up,and back along time ago I did use it to line cake pans before I knew of parchment.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

BakerAunt I use a lot of wax paper too,flouring when I fry or grating cheese on,easy clean up,and back along time ago I did use it to line cake pans before I knew of parchment.That's one thing I'm never out of,I also wrap my cheese in it before putting it in a sandwich bag

skeptic7
                Participant

When I make pie crusts, I roll them out between sheets of wax paper and when I am cutting up frozen butter, I often have the cutting board covered with wax paper.'

Italiancook
                  Participant

I grate cheese onto wax paper.

When I make meatballs, I put the formed meatballs onto wax paper before I flour them. I place the floured ones onto clean wax paper to hold while I fry them.

I have a quarter sheet pan that made its way into the dishwasher and didn't fare well. My husband lines it with wax paper to hold food to carry outside to the grill.

After I bread pork chops, I put them on a wax paper-covered plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes before I braise them.

When I want to "flash freeze" cookie dough balls, I line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and put the dough balls on it for the freezer. I think parchment is more expensive than wax paper, so I use wax paper whenever possible.

Sometimes, I sift flour, etc. onto wax paper, because it folds around the ingredients for easy pouring into the mixer. This takes some practice to learn which recipes it works for -- if the ingredients are too heavy, the wax paper can be hard to control when adding the dry ingredients a little at a time.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

When I started buying parchment it was $.10 sheet at a really cool store in Seattle which I highly recommend if you ever find yourself there.

Apparently they even have a website now! Greil had just taken over the store from her mom and was amazingly helpful and patient with fledgling bakers and highly regarded by the best bakers and pastry chefs in the city.

I stopped using wax paper because the parchment was cheap enough because I used half sheets and I had one less thing in my kitchen drawers.

Now I buy it at a restaurant supply store for about $.07 a full sheet and $.035 per half. So it's cheap enough. But I buy 10,000 sheets at a time and it lasts for a few years (I am actually running low now).

You can buy it online for about half the price but the shipping is high enough that any savings is erased plus I'd rather support my local stores.

But if you have to buy it in small quantities from places like KAF it is pretty spendy.

Still not sure how the price compares to parchment. Maybe I'll do the per inch math sometime.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I bought a box of 1000 full sheet pan size Quilon parchment sheets a few years back, gave a stack of them to my son and still have close to a half-box left. I probably have around 75 half-sized ones from KAF left, too.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Can you fit a full sheet pan into your oven, Mike?

I enjoyed reading about the Seattle store, Aaron.

Italian Cook reminded me that I also use waxed paper for making up salmon patties.

When I was at Gordon Food Services, I looked for large rolls of parchment but did not find any. When I want the 18" long piece, I'm stuck buying the Reynolds in the store. I'd like a less expensive source. For the half-sheet pan, I usually use KAF Baker's Bucks to bring down the price when I need to order it.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

It was advertised that it can fit a full sheet pan (I have just one), but there is almost no room around the sides for air circulation, so I seldom use it. I find the 3/4 sheet pans (almost 16x22) work very well, I have 3 of those. That limits me to about 21" long baguettes, but that's stll a pretty long baguette.

If I could find a pan that was 17 x 24 (outside dimensions) that'd give me a bit more baking surface but still plenty of room for air circulation.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

I made sheet pan pancakes. SO MUCH EASIER! I may never go back!

It's weird. It looks like cake but tastes like pancakes.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

What recipe did you use, Aaron?

skeptic7
                                Participant

Aaron, how thick were your pancakes and how many did you make? What did your children think of them?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.