Another Kind of Yeast Shortage

Home Forums General Discussions Another Kind of Yeast Shortage

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Marmite seems to be kind of an acquired taste, but I've seen a number of recipes for it lately, it must be gaining some new devotees.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I never heard of it.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I saw that. It’s an acquired taste that I never acquired

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Really? There is enough demand for marmite that there is a shortage.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

If you read the article, this is what I'd call a second-level effect, the shutdown of the pubs in Britain has led to slowdowns in the brewing industry, and Marmite is made from (used) brewer's yeast, which is now in short supply.

BakerAunt
                Participant

One of the baking sites that sends me emails was trying to push Marmite as the NEXT GREAT THING. I did not get swept up in their enthusiasm.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Not that I plan to run out and buy any Marmite, but I'm wondering just what they thought it could be used for. But then, I've got some other products in the pantry that some people might wonder what they're used for, too.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The last thing I need is another "hard to find where I live" that I don't want to do without.

I just finished up a jar of some roasted tomatoes in olive oil in a stir-fry. I looked in Kroger today and was startled at the price for a small jar. I do miss shopping the grocery section at T.J. Maxx for this kind of delicacy.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

I looked up marmite recipes and there are tons of them. Buzzfeed has 15 alone and they are not even a cooking site. Not all of their links work. Their marmite buttercream (you read that right) points to a list of healthful recipes that does not appear to have the promised frosting.

I did find such a recipe here.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Buzzfeed stuff comes up on my iphone all the time, I find them extremely unreliable and not trustworthy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.