What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 28, 2020?

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

The potato salad we make is with mayonnaise,mustard,eggs,onions,sweet pickle relish.I've had the German potato salad with oil and vinegar which I liked but have never made.

BakerAunt
      Participant

The secret to German potato salad is BACON!

KIDPIZZA
        Participant

Good Morning MARLISS my learned friend:
          Bacon is a very good additive however really not a requirement for a XLNT German potato salad.

Yesterday morning I made 2 5/8ths pound of white rose (NU POTATOES) those & the red rose in that order make the very best potato salad,
          that is for a typical German delli style potato salad. This recipe I make is my very first recipe I owned in 1953, I received from a co- worker whose parents from GERMAMY sold their German delli in GERMAN town Manhattan NYC. All that is in it is HEINZ DISTILLED VINEGAR/Water, some pickle juice, onions & salt/ pepper & sugar.

The other sort with H/B eggs which I refer as the American mid-western sort of potato salad which I rather not eat....some even insert mustard in it. When like yesterday for lunch they served that with hot dogs/bun for lunch. I ordered a bag of potato chips in it's place.In all, about a few dozen people have asked for the recipe but I only let it out to about 10 people over the years.

Marliss, I enjoyed spending some quality time with you today.
          Marliss suggest to Mike to try my boyhood favorite FRANKS/PORK & BEANS & mashed taters with rye bread Hmmmm.

~KIDPIZZA

KIDPIZZA
          Participant

Bacon is a very good additive however really not a requirement for a XLNT German potato salad.

Yesterday morning I made 2 5/8ths pound of white rose (NU POTATOES) those & the red rose in that order make the very best potato salad,
            that is for a typical German delli style potato salad. This recipe I make is my very first recipe I owned in 1953, I received from a co- worker whose parents from GERMAMY sold their German delli in GERMAN town Manhattan NYC. All that is in it is HEINZ DISTILLED VINEGAR/Water, some pickle juice, onions & salt/ pepper & sugar....& of course only BEST FOODS MAYO

The other sort with H/B eggs which I refer as the American mid-western sort of potato salad which I rather not eat….some even insert mustard in it. When like yesterday for lunch they served that with hot dogs/bun for lunch. I ordered a bag of potato chips in it’s place.In all, about a few dozen people have asked for the recipe but I only let it out to about 10 people over the years.

Marliss suggest to Mike to try my boyhood favorite FRANKS/PORK & BEANS & mashed taters with rye bread Hmmmm.

~KIDPIZZA

KIDPIZZA
            Participant

that is for a typical German delli style potato salad. This recipe I make is my very first recipe I owned in 1953, I received from a co- worker whose parents from GERMAMY sold their German delli in GERMAN town Manhattan NYC. All that is in it is HEINZ DISTILLED VINEGAR/Water, some pickle juice, onions & salt/ pepper & sugar....& of course only BEST FOODS MAYO

The other sort with H/B eggs which I refer as the American mid-western sort of potato salad which I rather not eat….some even insert mustard in it. When like yesterday for lunch they served that with hot dogs/bun for lunch. I ordered a bag of potato chips in it’s place.In all, about a few dozen people have asked for the recipe but I only let it out to about 10 people over the years.

~KIDPIZZA

Italiancook
              Participant

KIDPIZZA, good to hear from you!

I've never made vinegar and oil potato salad. Mike, I'm wondering if the V & O potato salad you make is German potato salad, or an American one from Nebraska? I had never heard of an American V & O potato salad.

I make my potato salad with twice the amount of hard boiled eggs as potatoes, apple cider vinegar, sour cream, mayo, celery, onion, salt or celery salt, and just a touch of mustard. If I'm lazy or in a hurry, I'll forego the celery and use celery seed. I've never subbed onion powder for the fresh onion, because I don't like onion powder.

BakerAunt
                Participant

It is so nice to hear from you, Cass!

I was thinking of a kind of German potato salad that is served warm with bacon in the dressing. I have a recipe for it tucked away, from a church cookbook. I've never made it, and as I'm avoiding bacon these days, probably never will, but I would not be adverse to a small taste of it.

I'm saving some wiggle room for a bit of bacon for when the tomatoes are ripe. I love bacon and tomato sandwiches with mayonnaise, hold the lettuce.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

This potato salad is served cold, German potato salad is usually served warm. My maternal grandmother had German lineage, her family lived on a farm in eastern Iowa, near Dyersville (where the ball park for Field of Dreams was built.)

I'm going to try adding a bit more salt and maybe a touch more vinegar, as I remember my mother's potato salad was not light on salt or pepper. She may have sometimes put green or red peppers in it, but not always. I'm pretty sure it didn't have mustard, olives or pickle relish. My wife thinks it needs more egg.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've never heard of having mashed potatoes with beany-weenie, Cass. I like it with a slice of freshly baked bread.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've figured out the missing ingredient in my mother's oil-and-vinegar potato salad---celery salt.

Adding a little salt got it close, but thinking back to what she had in her spice cabinet, I remember a big bottle of celery salt. It adds the saltiness and also some bitterness, and that completed the flavor picture.

I've updated the 'Memorial Day Potato Salad' recipe page to add that ingredient.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Ah, ha! That makes sense, Mike. I know that my mother always had celery salt on hand.

KIDPIZZA
                          Participant

Good day to you both Mike & Marliss.
                            I also employ celery. I just forgot to mention it along with the BEST FOODS MAYO (HELLMANS)....east of the Missisippi river.

This is my secret, I measure out the onion & as well as bite sized bits of celery & I then place it in my food proc.

Then when I peel & slice the taters I add a few 3 finger pinches of the condiments & the onion/celery spread & I then mix it in with both hands till it is totally complete this way it is EVENLY DISTRIBUTED.

I will add one of my secrets that I have never told before. in your boiling water add salt a few splashes of vinegar.... it holds the potato together without becoming MUSHY from being water-logged.

Mike, the sweet/sour flavor from the salad comes from the correct water/vinegar/ sugar ratio....'HOTTED-UP IN THE MICRO-WAVE'& POURED IN TWO SEPARATE SEGMENTS. THIS IN ORDER TO INFUSE THE TATERS. Then adding the MAYO when the taters are cooled if not the heat from the taters will SEPARATE THE MAYO.

For lunch here at the HOME I had a boiled sliced ham sandwich on toasted white bread & my cold potato salad spread as a layer on top. sooooo good.

YOU ALL HAVE A NICE DAY & STAY SAFE.

~KIDPIZZA / CASS.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Cass it's good to know you're doing well!

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.