What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of July 5, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

After last night's off-flavor steak, I don't want to even think about beef today! Not sure where that leaves me for supper.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I pulled a ham bone out of the freezer yesterday. Today, I made Great Northern bean soup using 2 lbs. of beans. There was plenty of meat on the bone (intentional), so I pulled it for the soup and cut the softer meat off the bone and put it into the soup. It's for dinner with Jiffy cornbread. Most of the soup is for the freezer. I hope the ham does well being frozen a second time. Never tried that before.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made pizza dough this morning and I have a pizza in the oven now.Sauce was from spaghetti sauce which I cooked down,sausage,pepperoni,onions,green peppers,black olives,mushrooms,and pickled banana peppers and lots of cheese.My husband is having tuna salad.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm waiting for cooler weather then I've got some pizza dough recipes to test.

I used the one we always liked from The Great Chicago-Style Pizza Cookbook for our May virtual pizza party, and my tastes must have changed, so I'm planning to experiment with some of Peter Reinhart's recipes again, starting with the Roman crust in American Pie. It is one designed to be rolled out really thin.

I may also try making the Carta di Musica flatbread.

I think for supper tonight I'm going to pick up one of the roast chickens at Sams. We like them better than the ones at Costco.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Your pizza sounds wonderful, Joan, as does Italian Cook's ham and bean soup.

It is too hot to cook, but we have enough hamburger stroganoff and rice for a third night I'll have to think about what to do for Monday's dinner, as I will need to thaw something.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had sirloin steak tips, potatoes roasted on the grill, and the last of the broccoli salad. BakerAunt, one of my most dreaded chores is meal planning. For a long time, I made the dinner menu every morning. But lately I've been planning about a week at a time, more or less. I plan for specific days, but can easily switch to a different day for whatever reasons. I think this helps me to use up leftovers, but mostly it means I spend only one morning each week or so worrying about what's for dinner(s).

cwcdesign
                Participant

I made peanut noodles using linguine and finished off a bag of Normandy style vegetables from Birdseye that I’d stash3d in the fridge back in March. I chopped up the veggies and sautéed them to cook off the moisture. The were good, but with no protein we ate a lot and don’t have leftovers for tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I used the bones from the chicken carcass to make a small batch of chicken stock.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and creamed corn.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We're having leftover chicken and some salad.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For dinner on Monday, my husband cooked pork in a skillet. I made bulgur with chicken broth from the freezer, and we had fresh green beans—the first—from our garden.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I cooked dry lima beans,rice and cubed pork.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

Dinner on Wednesday night was a stir-fry with soba noodles using the leftover pork and the drippings I deglazed from the pan. In addition to mushrooms, green onion, and half a yellow bell pepper, the stir-fry included snow peas from our garden and two small red bell peppers. These bell peppers were on the plant last fall when my husband dug it up before the frost (we had only had two peppers off of it—we like them red). It sat on the enclosed sun porch all winter, and the plant looked terrible, as it is not warm out there, although not too cold. My husband re-planted it this spring. We expected the two little peppers to fall off, but instead they grew then turned red. Thus, we had our first harvest. The plant is now a good size and has four or five peppers on it, some of which are large, with more forming.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

It is now officially summer, we had muskmelon with salami tonight.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I put some thick pork loin chops on the grill with a packet of applewood for smoke. They came out real good. Had it some pasta as I had a little sauce in a jar that I wanted to finish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.