What Did You Bake the Week of May 29, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of May 29, 2016?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm starting the thread a bit early, since we will be traveling back to Texas today and tomorrow.

On Sunday, I baked a loaf of my version of Grape Nuts bread. I forgot to bring malted milk powder with us, so I omitted it. The bread is still tasty, but I miss the malt. On Tuesday, I baked P.J.'s Cinnamon Swirl Bread from the KAF site. I did some substituting in of 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup white whole wheat flour, a tablespoon of flax meal, and 1 cup buttermilk and 1/4 cup water. The bread came out well, but it does not have much cinnamon flavor in the swirl. If I bake it again, I will at least double the cinnamon-sugar filling, and use less of the whole grains. On Friday, in preparation for our trip back to Texas, I baked Moomie's buns as twelve rolls, and I substituted buttermilk for all the water, then added a bit of water. I also baked a double recipe of cinnamon-oatmeal scones to take to my sister and two nieces when we visit them on Sunday morning. I substituted buttermilk for regular milk in those and adjusted the baking powder and baking soda accordingly, I mixed up a batch of Loaded Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from the KAF site (one that has Grape Nuts in it). That dough needs to sit overnight, so I will bake them this morning. Some of the cookies are for my sister's family.

I also shelled four to five cups of pecans after determining that they are still good. I used some for the cookies, but most went into the freezer.

Spread the word
      rottiedogs
      Participant

I had plethora of overripe bananas so I made 3 loaves of banana bread. 1 for breakfast and the other two went in the freezer for later.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

Slowly getting back to baking again. Wanted to try out the ATK Blueberry Muffin recipe. I had saved a Cooking Light recipe for Blueberry Lemon Yogurt muffins but the last time found them to be a bit more tougher. The ATK ones were more tender. Also made KAF Cinnamon Apple Raisin Challah - 2 loaves, one for home and one for work. Also still looking for a good biscuit recipe - I know, I know, there was a huge discussion by Mrs. Cindy on the old BC site. I did find a good cornbread biscuit recipe so have been using that as the base for the plain biscuit recipe. Of course, this is a slow hunt as I have to eat what I make before trying a new batch

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We have fresh peaches so I've been baking peach cobblers and homemade ice cream.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Joan Simpson.
            cwcdesign
            Participant

I baked the layers for Beatty's chocolate cake from Ina Garten and put them in the freezer to frost on Sunday. After making the buttercream which is sort of sad because it was too hot, the cake went right back in the fridge - good thing too since I'm not able to deliver the cake until today. While the buttercream didn't fluff, it did hold together and has a smooth consistency.
              My main issue is that it called for 2" deep 8" pans or 9" for depth. I had to use the 9" so the cake is a little shorter than I'd like and I did remember to bake it for less time. I'm definitely heading over to BB&B to replace my 8" pans soon because I know they'll have to order them for me.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Cwcdesign: BB&B was carrying the USA pans (ones that KAF has, only with their logo), and those should be 2-inches deep.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

If I was buying all new pans, I'd lean towards Fat Daddio pans. I've bought several of them and have been quite satisfied with them.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Baker Aunt, that's exactly why I'm going to BB&B for the USA pans. I love all the ones I have. Unfortunately our local one doesn't have them in stock - I tried before I baked the cake. But, if you go into the store with your fistful of coupons, they'll order, use your coupons and you'll get free shipping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.