What are You Cooking the Week of September 8, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 8, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I expect to be back in the kitchen to make dinner, shortly, but until then, here's the new thread.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Just a hot dog here with chex mix.

chocomouse
        Participant

Brats for dinner! With peppers and onions cooked on the grill, served on the sandwich thins I baked this morning, sliced lengthwise, and the hot pepper relish I canned this week.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Sunday dinner was a re-imagining of leftovers. I cooked some freekeh (an ancient grain I got from Bob’s Red Mill). While it cooked, I sautéed some green onion and a red bell pepper from our garden in grapeseed oil. I added the diced leftover pork from Friday’s dinner, along with what I de-glazed from the pan (and some that I had frozen from another time). I cut up and added kale leaves, then cooked until it was wilted. I mixed in the cooked freekeh and heated it a bit longer. Other than pepper, I didn’t add any spices. I would have liked to have tried something, but I wasn’t sure what to use, and my husband has been particularly sensitive to some seasonings lately. It still made a delicious meal, in part due to the deglazing liquid.

On a side note: It looks as if Bob's Red Mill has discontinued offering coupons on their website. I wanted to print one for quick oats, but there is no longer a link for coupons. 🙁 I see an online order in my future.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had some black bean soup (adding the carrot rounded out the flavor profile nicely, though I think a touch of lemon juice would brighten it up a lot) and some leftover chicken.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had stew beef which I added onion,potatoes and a carrot with a gravy,then baked it in oven for 2 hours to tender and had it over corn bread.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I looks like the Bobs Red Mill coupons link is gone, although the FAQ page hasn't been rewritten so this may just be a seasonal thing.

When I was redeeming a BRM coupon recently, the checker was a bit skeptical of the coupon, I got the impression they've been getting counterfeit ones.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had salad with tuna fish tonight.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We had leftover rotisserie chicken, lemon-pasta noodles with a bit of olive oil and Parmesan, and more green beans from the never ending supply in our garden. We are not complaining about the green beans, which are not coming as thick and fast as they did for a time but still keep us supplied.

I suspect that the BRM coupons are gone for good, as the company continues to develop as an employee owned enterprise. Counterfeiting may have also been an issue. The only grocery store in our little town stopped taking internet coupons shortly after we moved here, probably because it was hard to determine if they were legitimate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made tomato sauce today. I have more tomatoes than I can eat fresh and give away. After it cools down I'll portion it out in plastic food storage containers and freeze most of it.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Our dinner last night was grilled pork chops, beet greens, summer squash and zucchini,and roasted potatoes. I grew the beets in a wooden box on the deck, and it looks like we have two more meals before they are all gone.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Chocomouse we love beets.Last night we had left over spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Left over stew beef over corn bread.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Wednesday night’s dinner was Panko coated chicken breasts (first lightly rubbed with light mayonnaise, then dredged in ½ cup Panko, ½ tsp. Penzey’s roasted onion powder, a bit of garlic, celery salt, and pepper). We had it with bulgur, cooked in some of the chicken/turkey broth I made last week and with more fresh green beans from our garden that seem to appear every time my husband turns around.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

After dinner tonight, I made tomato sauce from the 4 pounds of tomatoes that we’ve accumulated from our garden. We only had two plants this year, so we have not had the flood of tomatoes that we did last year. Four pounds makes about 2 ½ cups.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.