What are You Cooking the Week of September 8, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 8, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I bought a small cauliflower on sale because I have a desire for cauliflower soup, even though the weather has turned hot again. Today is supposed to be in the low 80s, so I’m revisiting a recipe for cauliflower soup from the No Salt, No Fat Cookbook, a recipe that I’ve been making for over thirty years. I decided, however, that with new health information, a little fat—of the right kind—is a good thing, so I started by sauteeing some onion and garlic in olive oil, as that gives those ingredients a mellower flavor. It was a small cauliflower, so although I used 2 cups chicken/turkey broth, I cut the wheat flour to 2 Tbs. and the milk to 1 ½ cups. I used my stick blender to blend it in the pan. The soup is good, but a bit bland. It might be good with a bit of spice. What spice goes well with cauliflower?

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I see recipes for cauliflower that use dill, chives, nutmeg, thyme, tarragon, garlic, cayenne pepper and paprika, though not all in the same recipe. 🙂

The spices I think of as Mediterranean or Italian (oregano, basil, marjoram, rosemary, sage, bay leaf. saffron and cumin) don't seem to show up in cauliflower recipes, I haven't checked the Indian/Asian spice groups, but I doubt they would, either, though raw cauliflower is good with curry dips.

chocomouse
        Participant

Joan, we like beets but love the greens even more, with a splash of white vinegar. I like them best with a tiny round beet on the end. I'm going to try growing them inside this winter. It works for spinach, lettuce, etc. and herbs under grow lights attached to a baker's rack in our passive solar sun room.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by chocomouse.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. My turkey/chicken broth has rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley, and some sweet curry, but it is only a hint. I like the idea of thyme and chives.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I've got company coming in tonight so I baked a ham,canned mixed greens that I doctored up,macaroni and cheese and the coconut pie that I made yesterday,haven't cut the pie yet.

BakerAunt
              Participant

To go with leftover Panko Chicken for Thursday night’s dinner, I cooked BRM farro in 3 cups broth. (Next time, I will use just 2 ½ cups.) Microwaved broccoli completed the meal.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I pan fried the baked ham slices for a sandwich and home cut fries.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Dinner tonight was grilled chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, steamed summer squash and zucchini, and tomatoes and onions in Greek dressing. Baker Aunt, I"ll trade you some of my zucchini and summer squash for some of your green beans! I didn't plant any beans this year too cold and rainy and I was away several times when the weather was good for planting.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Tomato and salami sandwiches here.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For dinner on Friday night, I made grain bowls with the leftover bulgur and farro, which I combined with sautéed carrots, red bell pepper, carrots, and kale. We had it with the last leftover Panko chicken breast.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had more ham,rice and black eyed peas.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

My wife is working on making grape jelly today. I made about 9 quarts of tomato sauce last night and packaged it up this morning.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I made salmon and couscous for dinner, using 1 tsp. of Penzey’s Mural Seasoning. We microwaved frozen peas to go with it—the first time we’ve eaten frozen peas in probably two months. (The beans are slowing down.)

So far, it seems to be a bad year for baking pumpkins in my area of Indiana. I only got one slightly anemic "peanut" pumpkin last week, which I was assured will ripen up in the next few weeks. I have it on the sun porch to help it along. This week the vendors were all about the decorative pumpkins. I'm bemused by the people who were spending time trying to find three to stack for their doorsteps. Sigh. Can you say food waste--and probably not composted?

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I also made broth on Saturday afternoon from the remains of a rotisserie chicken.

Italiancook
                                Participant

On Saturday, I made a double batch of The Neely's (Food Network) Broccoli Soup. For the freezer. I really like this soup. It only has 1/2 cup cream (I use half 'n half) in a single batch. Because i'm now allergic to cow's milk, I used only 1/2 cup in the double batch. I should be okay.

I also took a meal to sick people this week. Because time was short, I made it easy on myself. Using 1 quart beef broth & 2 quarts chicken broth, I made Rice in Broth. Because the recipe book called for 2 cups of rice, I ended up with cooked rice and had to add broth to the quart containers. Good news was I ended up with 2 quarts for the freezer.

I also took them Cuban Bread and deli ham and cheeses for sandwiches. I gave them cannoli for dessert.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.