What are you Cooking the Week of October 31, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 31, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy Halloween, making anything spooky?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had breakfast for supper...Sausage,grits,eggs and sour cream biscuits.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made caramel sauce for a baking project tomorrow. And for dinner we had fish, fries, and broccoli.

Janiebakes
          Participant

We bought an extra turkey at a bargain price last Thanksgiving. It has been taking up space in the freezer ever since. Today it is being roasted, cut into pieces, not whole. House smells great.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Sunday, I roasted and pureed a Winter Frost squash. I am planning to use it for a curried soup later in the week. I learned on Wednesday, at a routine dental cleaning, that one of my molars has died, and I did not know or feel it (had a crown). So, on Monday, we drive to South Bend where I have an appointment with an endodontist for a root canal. I do not know how much I will feel like chewing after the procedure, so the squash is there for a quick soup.

Sunday dinner is Lentil-Turkey-Vegetable soup. I began by sauteing chopped carrots and celery in olive oil, then adding ground turkey to brown, before adding some minced garlic, and sliced mushrooms. I then add homemade turkey/chicken stock from the freezer, 1 Tbs. rehydrated dried onion, 2 cups rinsed Bob’s Red Mill Vegi-Soup blend (split green and yellow peas, brown and red lentils, and some barley), and 1 Tbs. of Penzey’s Ozark Seasoning. After 45 minutes, I added chopped yellow squash, and near the end, I added some kale leaves. It will be a warm soup for several additional nights. After an unseasonably warm autumn, this week our area will see temperatures near freezing overnight.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had macaroni and cheese, as my wife is on trick or treat door duty this evening, though it is cold here (upper 40's) and activity has been slower than normal.

We're doing safe distancing trick or treating again this year.

halloween2021

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                cwcdesign
                Participant

I made BakerAunt’s oven fried fish and chips. I found frozen sustainable cod at Publix - a 10 ounce bag had 2 perfect servings. I reduced the amount of panko I baked and would have been fine at 4 minutes instead of 5. I made sweet potato fries as that is what we had and sautéed some yellow summer squash. We laughed at our plates because it was Halloween colors. And, I did make the tarter sauce with some of Will’s homemade relish.

This meal is a winner! Thank you BA.

We liked the crispy panko so much that we’re going to try it on our oven fried chicken tenders - they usually call for plain panko, but I think we might get similar results to the fish.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made goulash with macaroni and tomato sauce, in which I hid chopped up cauliflower; with it we had a salad.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had leftover autumn chicken plus I made enough apple pie filling for four pies, packaged up to freeze 3 pies worth, stuck the rest in the refrigerator, I'll make an apple pie tomorrow.

I tried canning some of the pie filling, that didn't go as well as I had hoped. First, I forgot that pie filling expands when heated, and it leaked out the top and didn't seal. I've got enough Winesap apples left for at least 2 more batches of pie filling, so I may try it again with more head space. Second, I usually use about 1100 grams of pie filling for a 9 inch pie, and a quart jar only holds about 800 grams. That'd likely be enough for an 8 inch pie or for making turnovers or tarts, but I usually make a 9 inch double crust pie. It would seem odd to make both pints and quarts of pie filling, but that might be my only option other than the freezer.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had chicken and dressing from the freezer,leftover butter beans,potato salad and cranberry sauce.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Mike--Yes, I noticed with Blueberry pie filling that a pie requires a quart and a pint, unless it is a very small pie. I've wondered why they don't make 6-cup canning jars, but maybe it is tradition and pies used to be smaller.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I can find 24 ounce (pint and a half) and 28 ounce canning jars, but nothing between 32 and 64 ounce. (And the USDA recommends against using 64 ounce canning jars for much of anything.)

BakerAunt
                            Participant

For lunch on Tuesday, and into the rest of the week, I used the squash puree I made on Sunday to make my curried squash soup. That means I added homemade turkey/chicken broth to it, 1 ½ tsp. Penzey’s Now Curry, and at the end whisked in ¼ cup Fage nonfat Greek yogurt.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had hamburger steaks with mushroom and onion gravy and mashed potatoes.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made chicken meatball stuffed peppers. I have enough for the rest of the week.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.