What are you Cooking the Week of October 31, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 31, 2021?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I was thinking about Mike's comments on Mason jar sizes. I have been buying some local honey when we go to Kroger, and these are 3 cup canning jars. I have in the past also bought maple syrup in 3 cup Mason jars. Indeed, I saved the syrup jars separately for canning the great maple syrup Chocomouse's family produces.

I have saved the honey jars as well. I am thinking that if I could can apple pie filling, then two of the 3-cup jars would be perfect for pies. I don't know who would sell 3 cup Mason jars; probably they are only sold to commercial entities.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

USDA recommends that you use clearjel rather than starch (cornstarch or wheat flour) when canning pie filling.

I don't think I've seen them in stores, at least not lately, but I do see 3 cup (24 ounce) Ball canning jars on Amazon, but not at a price I'd be willing to pay. There are some 20 and 22 ounce jars, probably from China, on Amazon, but the reviews on them aren't very positive and the jars may not be compatible with Ball/Kerr lids and bands.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had cubed steak, macaroni and cheese, beets and black eyed peas.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Saturday, I cut up four small tomatoes that have been ripening on the porch and cooked them in a little pan with some olive oil and garlic. For my trouble, I got about a ¼ cup of sauce. I will use it in some Sloppy Josephines next week.

Dinner on Saturday was leftover roast chicken, roasted cubed red potatoes tossed in olive oil and Penzey’s Mural of Flavor, and microwaved peas.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.