What are you Cooking the Week of October 31, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 31, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

We had a roast beef tonight, with potatoes, onions, and carrots, cooked in a Le Creuset. I used a beef seasoning from Penzey's, but added garlic. It was good.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Wednesday night’s dinner was the Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce, along with microwaved fresh broccoli.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had a beef stir fry with broccoli and mushrooms.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I grilled chicken tenders in a marinade I made from Penzey’s fajita seasoning, garlic powder, s&p, lime juice and olive oil. I also made a farro salad with, apple, dried cranberries, pecans and crispy shallots. I used a honey apple cider vinegar dressing from Southern Living, but used half the oil the recipe called for - it was perfect. We also had sliced tomato.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had leftover chicken-n-dressing,cranberry sauce,green beans,candied sweet potatoes and sliced tomatoes.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

At the height of tomato season, I made a big batch of tomato relish (recipe here), somewhere around 8 quarts of it.

The last time I made a big batch I overcooked it trying to reduce it and we didn't care for the taste, so this time I cooked it until I thought it tasted right. It was still fairly watery at that point, so we've been dishing it out with a slotted spoon to drain it a bit, because it turns a hot dog bun soggy quickly.

To save some time, I drained a bunch of it and put it in a 1 quart container. I saved the liquid that I drained off, which is a combination of vinegar, sugar, salt, tomato juice and the juices from the onions and sweet peppers. I thought it might make a good salad dressing.

Tonight we had salads for supper, with some tuna fish, tomatoes (close to the last from the garden) and cheese. My wife used the relish liquid as her salad dressing, I added it to some Dorothy Lynch (French-style) dressing. I also put some on some steamed rattlesnake beans. It was very good on both.

It would be ironic if we wound up using the excess liquid from this year's relish before we ate all the relish, but it is certainly possible.

chocomouse
                Participant

Thursday's dinner was egg salad on fresh whole wheat bread. I needed something quick and easy - I'm leaving at 6:30 a.m. for the last fiber festival of the year, in MA.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made some pizza dough, enough for 3 small pies. I used 25% each of semolina and durum and 50% white whole wheat. The dough rolled out very easily and I was able to make it pretty thin.

Tonight's pizza was topped with a leftover chicken stuffed pepper, thin sliced onions and a 4 cheese blend. It was pretty good.

RenderedImage‑1

RenderedImage‑2

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Mike I'd never heard of pole beans being called rattlesnake beans,I learned something new today.We love pole beans.

We had char grilled chicken that was marinated in Italian dressing,thickened potatoes,sliced tomatoes and peas with snaps.

Have a fun and safe trip Chocomouse.

Len your pizza looks wonderful!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

They came from one of my wife's co-workers, I've never had much luck growing beans, peppers or cucumbers. These are a particular heirloom variety of pole beans, with some purple areas and with spots on them. The 'rattlesnake' part apparently comes from their tendency to curl around whatever they're growing on.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Good looking pizza. I haven't made pizza dough in a while, we've been doing lavash pizzas. I should get back into my quest for the perfect thin crispy pizza, not quite lavash thin, though.

I sort of want to try making carta di musica, but I think the next experiment will be trying to make hand-pulled noodles.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had leftover hamburger soup and pimento cheese sandwiches.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We're having beef stroganoff on toast for supper.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I roasted a chicken for dinner on Friday. I also cut up the rest of the honey nut squash we had grown and roasted the pieces in the countertop oven at 375F for 40 minutes. We will definitely plant these again. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I had a pizza, with a sliced chicken meatball, fresh spinach and thin sliced onion.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.