What are you Cooking the Week of October 23, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 23, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I was thinking of doing a meatloaf, but I think I'll wait until cooler weather arrives tomorrow, it is supposed to get up into the high 80's today and it is really windy, too. Storms are expected as part of the weather shift.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had grilled cheese and fries, my husband also had a can of soup.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We did a lavash pizza, some of which had piperade on it, some had pepper jack cheese and all of it had mushrooms, ham, tomato slices, mozzarella cheese and havarti cheese. It was very good.

Portions of Lancaster county are under an evacuation advisory, but it is in the SW portion of the county, where high winds are blowing a grass fire that started in the next county to the south rapidly to the north. I don't think it'll get this far into the city of Lincoln, hopefully not even into city limits, which are about two miles south of us. I don't remember ever seeing such an order, and they've requested farmers with irrigation systems to turn them on if they can do so safely.

There are storms due later today and tomorrow, hopefully they'll take care of the grass fire.

I ran an errand to the hardware store earlier today, the smoke was thick enough that the whole area was hazy.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Stay safe, Mike and Diane.

I made yogurt on Sunday. Because I am using one of the jars I made as the starter for the yogurt, I am making it every five days instead of every six. Once we do our big shopping run to the town northeast of us, I should have more Stonyfield full-fat yogurt to use as starter and can go back to the six-day schedule until I run out.

I made Turkey, Mushroom, and Spinach Lasagna for Sunday's dinner. I riffed off of a recipe for Turkey Sausage and Spinach Lasagna, which is at My Recipes. I use ground turkey instead of the turkey sausage and frozen rather than fresh spinach. I added 8 oz. sliced mushrooms. I use rehydrated onion and delete the garlic and bay leaf. For spices, I use 1 tsp. poultry seasoning and ¼ tsp. sweet curry. I used 15 oz. of low-fat ricotta, since by the time I used 1 ½ cups, I would have been left with ¼ cup and no use for it. I thickened the sauce with whole wheat flour and a bit of flax meal. I used olive oil rather than canola oil. I found that the recipe works best in a 9x9-inch deep ceramic dish. This was my second try with this recipe, and I am ready to type it up for my notebook collection.

We also had leftover coleslaw and more roasted honey nut squash.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I hope you stay safe Mike - fires scare me more than hurricanes.

I made half a recipe of a rice, artichoke, green olive salad that I haven't made in a long time. It was good, but I used brown rice instead of the white rice called for in the recipe - I think it's better with white rice which absorbs the dressing better.

The windows and slider are all in and are beautiful and tight - my bedroom is warm and I can't hear every single noise outside. The white trim inside (since they were very old Andersen windows, they were brown metal inside as well as out) makes the whole condo brighter.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

As I suspected, the 3 grass fires didn't get very far into Lancaster County and I think today's cooler weather and rain will take care of the fire threats for a while. Kind of weird to go from a day when it was in the high 80's (possibly 90) to a day where we might not get to 55.

Well, my father-in-law, who was trained as a meteorologist by the Army during WW2 (as part of the Manhattan Project) always said if you didn't like the weather in Nebraska, wait a day.

BakerAunt
                Participant

In north-central Indiana, we have gone back to highs in the mid to upper 70s after the cold weather of last week. That is much harder on the plants than just some cold weather.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Cool today, so the meat loaf is going into the oven soon.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Dinner here was fish fillets, french fries, and cole slaw.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had hamburger steaks in onion gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I added a can of tuna to my leftover rice/artichoke salad in order to stretch it. It actually is quite good.

Will is coming home today and I have to work late so I made the parts of a recipe from HBH and put them in the fridge. It is Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Casserole with Garlic Butter Pretzels. I made the pretzel dough in the bread machine just through the kneading and popped it in the fridge. Then I made the "casserole" which is more like a thick soup.
                          We will take them out about a hour before cooking so they can come up to temp. Then I will shape and boil the pretzels to put on top of the casserole before it goes in the oven.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had corned beef from a can that I doctored up with onions added a flour gravy, we had that over rice, steamed cabbage and buttermilk biscuits.Nothing we like often but was OK for a change.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Never heard of soft pretzels as a topping on a casserole before, sounds intriguing. Do you boil them in an alkali solution?

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had hamburgers cooked on the grill tonight, as we enjoyed a beautiful warm evening on the deck. We had a high of 72 today, but only 54 predicted for a high tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We had the rest of the turkey, spinach, and mushroom lasagna for dinner on Tuesday, along with roasted honey nut squash and microwaved fresh broccoli.

Chocomouse--that was the warm air we had here yesterday. Today we had a high of 69, then it began to drop, and we got a good rain, which is much needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.