What are you Cooking the Week of October 23, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 23, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I roasted a chicken in the main oven and sweet potato chunks in the countertop oven. We also had microwaved frozen peas. I made some gravy from deglazing the pan. I had to pour off a lot of fat.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had left over meat loaf, and the small slice left will be my wife's lunch tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had chargrilled chicken, potato salad and black eyed peas.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made beef stew for dinner tonight, and pulled some dinner rolls from the freezer.

BakerAunt
            Participant

We had leftover roast chicken, microwaved fresh broccoli, and more roasted honey nut squash. The leftover chicken made for an easy dinner after we did a long hike in a state park today.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had pan fried cubed pork, rice and gravy and green butter beans.

chocomouse
                Participant

I made a new pasta recipe for dinner tonight. It is bite-size chicken breast, spinach, bacon in an alfredo type sauce, on penne. With it, we had a green salad with lemon balsamic dressing.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Friday, I made stir-fry using a mixture of brown and wild rice, leftover roast chicken, carrots, red bell pepper (from our garden), celery, green onion, sliced mushrooms, and the leftover gravy I made on Wednesday and additional drippings from the platter

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had takeout chicken tonight, which complicates my dinner plans for the weekend, as I'm planning to make baked chicken, rice and mushroom casserole. But chicken several days in a row gets repetitive.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Spaghetti and meat sauce from the freezer and garlic toast.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I've been meaning to report back on the Broccoli Cheddar Casserole with Pretzels, but it has been a busy week -so what else is new.

Anyway, I took the dough and the casserole/soup out of the refrigerator about an hour before I wanted to cook. I should have shaped the dough at that point as it would have come to temp sooner. While it was a fun recipe, I would not make that particular one again. We like the version of Panera soup that we have been using forever better. As for the Pretzels, I would make them smaller and bake them separately as they were too much like a dumpling for our tastes. The top definitely pretzel-ed, the inside cooked, but the bottom was dense. Oh, and to answer Mike's question - yes, the recipe says to boil them in a baking soda solution for about 30 seconds - which may also have contributed to the bottom problem. Photo attached.

The appliances were delivered on Thursday - the stove is installed and so far, Will has made chicken thighs and stir fry on the stove and baked focaccia in the oven. Everything was delicious. It is an induction - my new pans work just fine. The oven temperature is accurate. It has a convection feature which Will did not use at my recommendation - I told him we needed to research what works best in convection. It will also convert traditional baking temperatures to convection and has a convection roast setting. It has an air fryer setting and a steam cleaning setting as well. My contact at the appliance store says that the other people who have gotten it are happy with it. I think we will be too.

As for the refrigerator, when the delivery people went to take the doors off to bring it in, he discovered that the waterline was cut - they even brought me out to put me on the tail lift to see it. They had called the warehouse manager first and then I talked to him. They took it back and are getting me a new one - it takes less time than ordering the part. I should have it by Wednesday - this is not the first time they have seen this. As a matter of fact, the last time, they discovered when they turned the water on in the fridge. I only have an icemaker, not a water dispenser (my choice).

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had a water/ice dispenser in the freezer for about 20 years (I actually won a side-by-size refrigerator/freezer in a drawing in around 1975), but these days we have a standalone icemaker that holds 20 pounds of ice. (We used to have two of them, one in the kitchen and one in the basement, but after replacing the icemaker downstairs twice, we decided it wasn't worth replacing a third time. They make a less expensive icemaker that is more like the one in most freezers, making half-moon 'cubes', but I don't know if we'd get enough usage out of even that.)

chocomouse
                            Participant

We had leftover beef stew for dinner. It's better the second time around!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had hamburger steaks in onion and mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes and green peas.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We had leftover chicken, rice, vegetable stir-fry.

On Saturday, I made yogurt. I also made turkey-chicken broth from the bones of a frozen turkey breast and chicken and from the chicken we had this week. That will restock my freezer and provide broth for soup next week.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.