What are you Cooking the Week of November 5, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 5, 2023?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had leftover soup, I also had a salad with salad greens I picked yesterday from the Aerogarden.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I made stir-fry on Thursday, using leftover pork from last night, along with soba noodles, de-glazing from last night's pan, carrots, celery, red bell pepper (from our garden), broccoli, mushrooms, and some green onion tops from my husband's pot of green onions on the porch.

I am having to order my soba noodles from Vitacost, as the Kroger in the next town has stopped carrying them.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had takeout pizza and salad for supper.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I had chargrilled chicken marinated in Italian dressing,Caesar salad and cucumber salad.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Friday was a morning for cooking experimentation. I roasted a large butternut squash and pureed it in the food processor. I then added it to about 1 ½ cups of turkey broth from the freezer that I had heated. I tasted it, then decided to add a splash of apple cider, then another, probably about 3-4 Tbs. in total. I added 1 tsp. of Penzey's Now Curry. It is the best butternut squash soup that I have ever made. The apple cider gives it just a hint of sweetness, which plays well with the spice. I set aside some for tomorrow and will freeze one serving for the "What will I have for lunch?" conundrum.

Another experiment involved the 4 oz. jar of mostly liquid, but some vegetables left over from when I made that zucchini relish. This jar I did not process but refrigerated. I found a recipe for pasta salad that uses cider vinegar on the internet at Preppy Kitchen, by John Kanell that I could adapt. I had some pasta in autumn shapes (leaves and pumpkins) and I cooked about 1 1/2 cups of it. I combined the contents of the relish jar with 1/3 cup olive oil, chopped red onion, and a minced clove of garlic. I added 2 tsp. of honey to get a tangy but mellow taste. I also added a small green bell pepper that we picked before the freeze that will not be turning red, and ½ tsp. Penzey's Salad Sprinkle. I mixed that with the pasta, then halved and added some of the cherry tomatoes that have ripened in the house. I will let it rest overnight. I may add feta to it tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I had leftover chargrilled chicken. Caesar Salad, cottage cheese with sliced tomatoes, dessert was pumpkin pie filling I baked no crust.Good!

I have been adding Everything Bagel Seasoning on a lot of what I eat and I like it..

chocomouse
                Participant

Dinner tonight was a casserole of spinach, mushrooms, chicken breasts, and mozzarella cheese. With it we had leftover roasted veggies from Wednesday night.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We had leftover stir-fry for Friday's dinner.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Me and my friends went to a craft show festival and had a wonderful time, then went to a sports bar for a beer and sandwich. Awesome day.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I love going to craft shows, Joan.

On Saturday, I experimented with using cider rather than red wine in my beef stew. I changed the spices. I used 2 tsp. dried rosemary, 2 tsp. cinnamon (added the second halfway through), ½ tsp. allspice, and ¼ tsp. cloves (halfway through). I used 2 cups of cider initially, then added another half cup when I added the potatoes, carrots, and bell pepper. I still used some tomato paste, which it needed. The stew is good, but I prefer my red wine version, which is fine by my husband who says it has too much spice. I think that it is missing something in the overall taste profile.

BTW, the pasta salad I made yesterday was great. I now have a use for those four jars of zucchini relish that I canned.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.