What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's Thanksgiving week, so there should be a lot of holiday cooking and baking going on.

I'm making flan today, mainly to use up the egg yolks left over from the batches of eggshell rolls. I've also got some veal that I'll probably use for supper.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I cooked hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and home cut french fries.

I will start tomorrow on some pf the cooking and preparing for Thanksgiving even though it looks like it will be just us.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We're having lavash pizza for supper tonight.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, I cooked One-Pot Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms & Rice, a recipe by John Whaite that appeared in an email newsletter from The Splendid Table. I’ve made it a couple of times before (and gave the link at that time), but since, I am using brown rather than basmati rice, I’ve had issues with the rice cooking thoroughly before the chicken is done. This time, I used a mixture of half brown rice and half wild rice mix (1 cup of each) and made sure that I had 4 cups combined chicken broth and white wine, I used my 5-qt. Calphalon sauté pan so that there would be enough room for 8 chicken thighs. However, instead of putting the thighs in after bringing the liquid to a boil and adding the rice, mushrooms, and seasonings, I covered the pan and put it in the oven for 20 minutes. I then removed it, took off the cover, added just a bit more broth, and arranged the chicken thighs on top and drizzled with olive oil. I returned the uncovered pan to the oven for 50 minutes. It came out very well with the liquid absorbed and the rice perfectly cooked.
            I did not have fresh tarragon, so I used 2 tsp. in place of 2 Tbs. I also did not have a banana shallot or any shallot. My husband has asked that I not use onion for a while, as it seems to be upsetting his digestive system, but he does ok with dried onion, so I added 1 tsp. dried onion.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf,sour cream mashed potatoes and green beans.Enough meatloaf for a couple sandwiches,I love them.

chocomouse
              Participant

We ate grilled pork chops, quinoa salad with corn, beans, and tomatoes, and a green salad.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had veal Zurich over spaetzle made with 100% semolina flour, which was less successful than I had hoped. It didn't have enough gluten to hold together, so the texture is closer to a polenta. It was tasty, but it wasn't really spaetzle. A 50-50 blend of AP and semolina might hold together more.

We also decanted the first of the two flans I made yesterday. The recipe I have makes a LARGE flan, it calls for a 1 1/2 quart charlotte pan, and we wound up cooking it in 2 10" pyrex dishes, next time I may just do it in one pan, which would make it a lot deeper.

I forgot to add the vanilla, I think it may counteract the slight bitterness of true caramel, so I'll make a note on the recipe for next time not to forget it. It took a lot longer to set up than I had expected, I think I made a bit too much caramel and that insulated it too much. I may also have not had the water in the bain-marie hot enough.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I had a roasted pork chop with an apple stuffed acorn squash.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I'm roasting one of my five pie pumpkins. This one isn't slated for pie, as I have peanut pumpkin puree from last year that I will use for pie tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Today I cooked turnip greens and mustard together with turnip roots,baked corn bread for dressing,chopped celery and onions,got a big chicken boiling for dressing which I will make up tomorrow and leave in refrigerator till Thursday morning.

I baked a pork roast,baked beans and coleslaw for supper and now I'm tired.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm not sure what we're doing for dinner tonight yet, but I made some hard boiled eggs. Might go on a salad, might go in tuna salad, might be egg salad.

Italiancook
                          Participant

We're not doing Thanksgiving this year, so all I've cooked this week are marinated chicken breasts and cabbage.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had a left over pork chop, made mashed taters, broccoli and carrots and a baked apple.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Today I made the dressing up and have it refrigerated till in the morning.

I told my husband no cooking supper here tonight so we had leftover pork BBQ with coleslaw.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Today I made candied carrots (sliced carrots baked in maple syrup and butter) and stuffing for the turkey. BakerAunt, did you ever find the Pepperidge Farm in the blue bag that you were searching for? That's the only stuffing I will use. I had to search at my store for it, found it on the bottom shelf, surrounded by many many other brands of boxed, top-of-the-stove type mixes, but I knew they had it because I checked their on-line inventory before I shopped.

For dinner, my husband cooked himself a burger on the grill and got one of Ellen's buns from the freezer. I had a green salad. Joan, we think alike!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.