What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 24, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We've been eating the Tarragon Chicken, Rice and Mushrooms for the past four days and finished it this evening, changing out the accompanying vegetables each day. That's my way of finding time to work on all of the other Thanksgiving food.

Yes, Chocomouse. I found it a Kroger, after walking all over the store, only to discover that they had put a special Thanksgiving food section at the front of the store to the side of the produce area. I later saw a few bags at Walmart when we went on Monday, for the same price. Did you notice that the bag is now only 12 oz.? I bought two, as there will be five people at dinner.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Today I made a pizza.

chocomouse
        Participant

BakerAunt, I did notice the smaller size of the bag!! I also bought two bags, because there will be only two of us and I LOVE stuffing!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

More than once I've been tempted to make a batch of stuffing and some gravy using turkey stock, and maybe even mashed potatoes, and pig out!

I also love DGBC (dreaded green bean casserole), in fact I might make some for Black Friday.

chocomouse
            Participant

Mike, whenever you are going to serve stuffing AND mashed potatoes, with gravy of course, I'll be right over! We have stuffing only for Thanksgiving (and a week of leftovers) and we have mashed potatoes today and maybe 2-3 other times during the year. I keep reminding myself that is good, it's best for my health, don't add them to my regular menus!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Mike and Chocomouse--We are also having mashed potatoes and gravy with our dressing/stuffing (we never put it in the turkey). Usually, for two of us, I'd skip the mashed potatoes (but not the gravy!), but since we have company, and mashed potatoes were mentioned, I'll make both, as I would do when the kids were able to join us.

I adore the DGB casserole, but I skipped it last year and will do so this year, since I want to spend my saturated fat allowance on other items, such as pumpkin pie. I'd also have to eat it all myself, as my husband does not care for it or the onions on top.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                skeptic7
                Participant

I have been thinking about what I would like to do with Turkey leftovers in case I have enough. Do you think a deep dish pizza with turkey and without all that cheese is possible? I'd like the center to be more like a shepherd's pie with gravy and turkey and any fairly robust vegetable, and perhaps sage in the pizza crust.
                  How about a shepherd's pie with a stuffing crust instead of mash potatoes?
                  I am going to someone else's house for Thanksgiving so I don't know how much leftovers I will have. I am making cranberry sauce and apple slab pie and pumpkin cornbread.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Happy Thanksgiving to all!We had chicken-n-dressing,mustard and turnips mixed,cranberry sauce and sweet potato souffle topped with marshmallows.No other desserts except the banana bread I baked yesterday.Just the two of us so I'll put a lot of this in freezer for Christmas.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Chicken and turkey meat (especially white meat) tends to be too dry for pizza, unless you do something like buffalo chicken, which is heavily marinated in a spicy sauce.

I've made turkey pot pies a few times, but we don't have any leftover turkey this year. I did buy some turkey at the deli counter the other day so I can have a turkey sandwich tomorrow.

There were two big pans of DGBC today, and I had multiple helpings of it, so I may pass on making it tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

My husband roasted the turkey. I made dressing from Pepperidge Farm Stuffing--two separate dishes, one with onions, which is almost all gone, and one without onion, from which my husband had a spoonful. I also made mashed potatoes and gravy. We cooked frozen peas and carrots for the vegetable. One of my friends brought a delicious apple-cranberry salad. It's not sweet and went well with the dressing. We also had my homemade applesauce from the freezer. We had Ellen's buns baked in the pumpkin muffin pan and the pumpkin rye bread. Of course, there was my pumpkin pie for dessert.

Thanksgiving was our first dinner party since we remodeled the house.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Today we had leftovers of dressing & cranberry sauce,greens and sweet potato souffle.I have two pans of dressing in the freezer and three large containers of greens about a quart each.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I had a turkey sandwich on challah.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I feel like a Nebraskan this evening. I had chili with a cinnamon roll. Non-yeast roll, but it still has all the notes of a yeast cinnamon roll. Beef chili with a tomato base goes great with a cinnamon roll. They are made for each other. Because of the pastry board clean-up from these rolls, I'd never make them just to go with chili. But if I had a roll in the freezer, I'd pull it out for a chili meal. I don't think cinnamon rolls would go good with turkey chili, but they're made for beef chili. Thanks, Mike, for telling us of your State's tradition.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had turkey on the rye-wheat-pumpkin bread for lunch. For dinner, we had leftover turkey, dressing, gravy, and peas and carrots. I had some cranberry apple salad, and my husband had some applesauce. We'll have the mashed potatoes in one of the upcoming re-run meals.

chocomouse
                                Participant

We had turkey wraps, on whole wheat fajitas with onions, peppers, celery, and tomatoes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.