What are you Cooking the Week of November 12, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 12, 2023?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What they used to do with hard cider when I was young was leave it in jugs outside, wait until the temperatures dropped below freezing and drain off the unfrozen liquid in the bottom of the jug. Wicked stuff!

https://www.ciderculture.com/5-hard-cider-recipes-get-you-through-end-winter/

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I'm cleaning out my refrigerator, I had cucumber salad, deli Turkey slices and sliced tomatoes.

Thanks BakerAunt I can't wait.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have been remiss in processing my pumpkins, and I noted a spot on one of the two peanut pumpkins on Saturday, so I went ahead and roasted and processed it after cutting out the bad parts. I will do the second one tomorrow. The sugar, or pie pumpkins, last much better, but I will be roasting two of those early next week for pumpkin pie.

Dinner tonight was a repeat of chicken salad sandwiches on the last sub roll. I also had some of my butternut squash soup.

Mike--uh, what did they do with what was left after they drained off the alcohol (part that did not freeze)?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Not much, as I recall, though it may have been used for things in the kitchen. Farm wives don't let much go to waste.

The unfrozen part of the hard cider is often called applejack. Depending on how cold it gets, it can be anywhere from about 50 to 80 proof, though I've been told that if it hits 20 below the applejack can get to about 120 proof.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches today. Tomorrow I think I'm making chicken, rice and mushroom casserole.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.