What are you Cooking the Week of November 1, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 1, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Did you remember to set your clocks back an hour this morning?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Yes, I remembered to turn the clock back.

I made another batch of yogurt.

Sunday dinner was roast chicken with carrots and potatoes. I seasoned the carrots and potatoes with Penzey’s dry Ranch Dressing (1 Tbs.), after tossing in olive oil, and I also put the seasoning on the chicken after rubbing it with a bit of olive oil. I put the chicken up on a small silicone rack and put the vegetables around the sides, which makes for even roasting of the vegetables, but the underside of the chicken does not roast as well. I ended up turning it over and roasting for an additional 20 minutes. In the future, I will likely start it upside down for the first part of the roast, then turn it over

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had tuna salad sandwiches. I also made some baked custards and some hard boiled eggs. (We had a couple dozen eggs that are getting on the old side.)

I also did some more molded chocolates for our granddaughter's Advent calendar today.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I had a pork chop, rice and mushroom gravy.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We just had toast and eggs tonight.I turned my clocks back last night before I went to bed.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Today I made a small pot of hamburger vegetable beef soup and homemade pimento cheese sandwiches.

chocomouse
                Participant

Our dinner was kielbase and fried potatoes and onions, with leftover bean salad and cole slaw.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Tuesday, I made chicken broth, using the bones from the chicken I roasted on Sunday and those of a previous chicken that I saved in the freezer.

We had leftover roast chicken with roasted potatoes and carrots, and microwaved frozen peas.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Tonight I fried a boneless chicken breast which I split for us, mashed potatoes and green butterbeans.

Italiancook
                      Participant

For lunch, I made cube steaks, baked potatoes & frozen Brussel sprouts. For dinner, my husband made waffles.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Leftovers of pimento cheese sandwiches and soup.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Wednesday, I roasted the first of two “peanut” pumpkins and pureed it in my food processor after removing from the skin. I froze three (15 oz.) containers, and set aside 4 oz. to bake into pumpkin biscotti later in the week.

For Wednesday’s dinner, I made a sauce by sauteing mushrooms in olive oil, then sprinkling a bit of flour over it. I added some chicken stock, and some leftover evaporated milk, a package of frozen broccoli florets, and the rest of the roast chicken, along with freshly ground black pepper. I mixed it with some cooked noodles, and we grated Parmesan atop our serving. Bonus: There is enough to have it again tomorrow.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Joan, your pimento cheese reminds me of my childhood. My grandmother always had a quite small jar of store-bought pimento cheese in her fridge. She wouldn't let any of the grandchildren taste it when she made herself a pimento cheese sandwich. Since she was an otherwise generous person, I have to assume that the cost of that little jar was an extravagance in her budget. Paula Deen made a pimento cheese that I have often thought of trying, but it uses white cheddar, and I can't buy that locally.

BakerAunt, your cooking make me want to join you for a meal. They're innovative and sound delicious!

I made pancakes today for the freezer. Husband grilled pork chops for lunch. I made skillet fried potatoes. Served with leftover Brussel sprouts.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Joan, I love pimento cheese (but born and raised in Vermont!) and have tried making it several times, never successfully however. Just didn't taste right. I think Southern ladies must have a secret ingredient. And the stores around here seem to stock it only at Christmas time; I don't understand why because I've never seen it on Christmas menus.

I'm going to join ItalianCook at BakerAunt's table!!

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Thank you, Italian Cook and Chocomouse: It's mutual, as I would often like to join you at your meals! Indeed, everyone on this site posts about delicious cooking.

My Mom, from Tennessee, was fond of the occasional pimento cheese sandwich. It was one food group where she made no attempt to convert us, so she was probably savoring it herself, a treat that any hard-working Mom deserves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.