What are you Cooking the Week of November 1, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 1, 2020?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I hope you’re better soon, Joan

Re caramelized onions. Lora Brody has a recipe for making caramelized onions in the crockpot with 3-4 pounds of Visalia or other sweet onions and 1 stick of butter in a 4-quart crockpot. If you have a larger crockpot you can double the amount of onions, but don’t need to increase the butter. Cook low and slow for 12-14 hours (they turn mahogany colored) And, yes you can freeze them.

BakerAunt
      Participant
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I just freeze things in individual containers, like small amounts of stock. Ikea and Tupperware make them in lots of sizes, from a few tablespoons to several quarts. I organize them in the drawers in the freezer, one for chicken stocks, one for beef stocks, one for other stocks (duck, veal, goose, vegetable if I ever make it), one for things that aren't stocks, like tomato sauce/paste and frozen vegetable purees.

I have 3 types of chicken stocks currently, some where the bones are browned before they go in the pot (it produces a darker stock) plus some chicken remouillage (a second batch of stock made from the same bones, thinner and lighter than the original but still useful for cooking and great for things like gravies.) For beef I also have 3 types, some that's been cooked down further so it is essentially a demiglace (but without the Espagnole sauce) plus beef remouillage.

I tried the ice cube tray idea once, it is a lot messier than articles make it look, or at least it was for me. 🙂

RiversideLen
          Participant

Hope you're feeling better soon, Joan.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Thanks everyone, I am a lot better.

Italiancook
              Participant

BakerAunt, you come across interesting articles. Thanks for sharing them with us. Regarding the onions in ice cube containers -- since they leave an odor in the wells of the trays, I'd be worried they'd leave an odor in my freezer, even if covered with foil. I'd rather use a container with a lid. I'm glad I saw the picture. My first attempt at caramelized onions must have been perfect, because the color of my finished product was the same as the picture. This cancels out my mistake with the Swedish Pearl Sugar!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.