What are you Cooking the week of May 31, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of May 31, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I didn't get my meatloaf made yesterday, maybe I'll get it made today.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Had gyros from the farmer's market for lunch, with some left over for supper, my wife has lasagna left over from last night, so the meatloaf is now in tomorrow's plans.

I'm hoping to get some tomatoes in the ground this evening. It rained a little again on Saturday but it is sunny and nice today, so the ground should be reasonably dry by evening.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Sunday. I have had to use nonfat Chobani Greek yogurt as the starter, but when we went to the next town for groceries for the first time since lockdown, I was able to get Stonyfield full-fat Greek yogurt again. I use ¾ cup (170g), so when added with the 1% milk, it is low enough in saturated fat. I like the taste of the Stonyfield yogurt better.

chocomouse
          Participant

Our dinner tonight was salmon on the grill, asparagus, and a cauliflower salad. I planted tomatoes today Mike! 6 Celebrity and 6 La Romas - I've cut way back because we don't need as much tomato sauce for pasta, pizza, etc. and I have quite a bit left in the freezer from last summer.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Got the ground more or less prepped and I'm currently work on deciding what tomato plants to put where. I'm probably going to use all 24 cages this year. The weather is supposed to be good for the next few days, so hopefully I'll get them all in tomorrow or Tuesday.

Supper was leftovers.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made a small pot of chili and we had hot dogs with it.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made a hamburger and mashed potatoes.

kimbob
                  Participant

Joan, my husband had hotdogs and chili for dinner last night, too. Mom and I ate the leftover ziti. I put pesto on mine. Yum!
                    Tonight is meatloaf with a salad or vegetable and probably mashed potatoes.

kimbob
                    Participant

BakerAunt, I also made yogurt the other day -- 2 qts. I still like Dannon the best. I usually use fat free milk but sometimes 1%. This time I had 2% in the fridge and used that. Wonderfully creamy when you're used to fat free.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had more hot dogs and chili leftovers.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We have been eating leftovers as well. Yesterday, we finished the chicken and had potato salad, along with microwaved fresh broccoli. Monday night, we had leftover black-eyed peas, ham, and vegetable rice bowl, and we will have it for dinner again tomorrow. That allowed me to bake a pie this evening, and it will let me bake bread tomorrow.

navlys
                          Participant

I bought a top round london broil (on sale do you believe?). I sliced the semi-frozen beef very thin against the grain with my rotary slicer. Then I threaded the marinated meat on wooden skewers and grilled it. 1 1/4 lbs of meat was good for 2 meals (for 2) and some to share with our neighbor. Tasty and economical, IMHO.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Tuesday, I was able to buy a package of six Roma tomatoes that had been marked for quick sale. I cut out the bad place from one, then made them into sauce for the next time we have pizza. I start by putting olive oil and 2 cloves minced garlic in a sauté pan, heating until the garlic becomes fragrant (about 30 seconds or so), then adding the chopped tomatoes and cooking them down to make a thick sauce. I add about ½ tsp. sugar.

I also needed to use up the potato water left from when I made potato salad last week, so I sautéed some chopped carrots and celery, then added the water and 2 tsp. rehydrated Penzey’s dried onion, along with 1 cup brown lentils and ¼ cup red lentils. After 20 minutes, I added ¼ cup farro, then cooked for another 30 minutes before adding torn kale from two stalks. I ate some for lunch. We will either use it for a meal later this week (if the weather cools down!) or else I will freeze it for an “emergency” meal

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Yesterday I sauteed some zucchini, mushrooms and red bell pepper a little thin sliced fresh garlic and then added meat sauce (tomato, onion & carrot) I had in the freezer and served it over spaghetti.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Dinner tonight was a change in plans - I pulled some Hirtensuppe (German beef stew) from the freezer, along with some rolls. I don't remember making these, so not sure what recipe I used, but they were shaped like cinnamon buns, rolled and slice and baked in a muffin tin. The filling was bacon and cheddar, and some other seasonings. It was a quick and tasty meal after a long afternoon transplanting seedlings into the garden.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.