What are you Cooking the Week of June 18, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 18, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy Father's Day. I'm planning steaks on the grill tonight, a nice KC Strip for me, a filet for Diane. (I think Trader Joes has the best filets in town.)

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Happy Father's Day, Mike and to all the other fathers out there.

I got lucky in the "day off lottery" this week - I ended up with a 3 day weekend, getting a coveted Saturday off. So Will and I went to the farmers market on the mainland. We had delicious corn and freshly dug potatoes and cherry tomatoes last night. Tonight we're having leftover potatoes, sautéed zucchini and yellow squash, and I'm going to air fry some eggplant fries. It's nice to have the kitchen done. And just about everything else. We can't wait for them to come do the cleaning ~ we're tired of sweeping and vacuuming construction dust.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm glad you are back in your kitchen, CWCdesign. What a nice selection of produce you got from the farmers' market. Offerings at our local one are meager right now., and my favorite vendor, who had the greatest variety, will not be coming this summer because in addition to her farm, she is now working at the family dairy, and it is too many hours.

I also wish all fathers a great Father's Day.

To make up for the not-so-great Father's Day breakfast this morning, I made the Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce, with microwaved broccoli on the side for dinner.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've often wondered just how profitable farmer's markets are, given the time investment. Some of the vendors at the Sunday market here come from 100 miles away.

chocomouse
            Participant

Around here, most of the vendors at the farmers' markets have farms with nice farmstands. There are 5 farmstands within about 5 miles of my house. There are also some vendors selling baked goods, jams, maple syrup, etc. It is a ton of work, and costs the owner money, also, because they need to have more employees to cover the market place and the stand at the farm. All the farmstands are doing CSAs these days, which require less labor and yield more profit. But with so many of them in the Upper Valley, the competition is tremendous and the farmers have become very creative.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

CSAs are popular here, too, and we've even been in a couple of them, but found the variety of produce didn't really work for us. And now that I can grow more lettuce in the Aerogarden than either of us can eat, 12 months a year, there's even less need for being in a CSA.

My son's CSA (in Pittsburgh) tend to have good deals on black raspberries and strawberries, he'll often order several extra flats of them, we haven't found a comparable CSA here.

chocomouse
                Participant

Dinner was grilled chicken, Greek salad, and ramen noodles. It's the first time I've ever cooked ramen, but my husband ate the spinach pasta salad that I had planned for dinner, so I had to dig into my "emergency meal" supplies.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had takeout.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I pulled some meatballs from the freezer and had spaghetti, meatballs and broccoli.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made yogurt on Monday.

We had found ham at a good price at the grocery last week, so I cut it up this evening and froze some of it, along with the hambone. We had ham sandwiches for dinner with salad, including two cherry tomatoes from the garden.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I made the Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce again on Wednesday, and once again, we had microwaved broccoli on the side.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Diane had a dental hygienist appointment this afternoon, so we went with something soft - mac and cheese.

navlys
                            Participant

I baked a marinated and rubbed chicken breast to use in my dinner salad. I included cooked noodles, spring mix greens and romaine, snow peas, tomatoes, dried cranberries, feta cheese and herbs from my garden pots. Used good seasons salad dressing.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Dinner tonight was boneless pork chops and roasted potatoes on the grill, and Greek salad.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had big salads tonight, gotta eat up all that lettuce I'm growing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.