What are you Cooking the Week of July 4, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 4, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I had an Italian sausage sandwich with my first jalapeno pepper.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Last night we had char grilled chicken breast that I pounded thinner and marinated in Italian dressing,broccoli and cheese sauce with candied sweet potatoes.

Janiebakes we love the beef stew over corn bread.My corn bread is usually about an inch and a half thick and I like to split it open and put it on top and add Louisiana hot sauce on top.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

I made a pork roast tonight.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Last night we had fries and taco burgers.

BakerAunt
            Participant

With cooler weather, dinner on Saturday will be Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms, and Rice, which I adapted from John Whaite’s “One-Pot Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms & Rice, which he shared with The Splendid Table. I replaced the basmati rice with an equal mixture of brown and a wild rice blend, so I adjust the liquid and the cooking method. I start the rice in the broth in a covered oven pan for 20 minutes, then add the chicken and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes. We will enjoy it with microwaved fresh broccoli.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We went out to a local seafood restaurant for grouper and was sorely disappointed again.

chocomouse
                Participant

BakerAunt, do you remove the skin from chicken before cooking? There's a lot of fat in the skin, but I find that sometimes removing the skin changes the flavor profile and texture of the meat significantly.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Today I made a slow cooker eggplant parmigian with eggplant from the garden. I made a few tweaks based on my notes from the first time I tried it. It still needs a little more work, but it’s still really good and we’ll have enough to freeze for a meal or 2.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Chocomouse--no, I do not remove the skin before cooking. I tried doing that and the chicken just does not cook right and is not worth eating. I take the skin off before I eat the cooked chicken. Usually, I roast chicken pieces on a rack, so that the grease drains away. Otherwise, I try not to overdo recipes like this one where the fat is going to mingle with the rest of the ingredients.

Janiebakes
                      Participant

Tonight we had cod, green beans and mashed hubbard squash. A peach and a nectarine for dessert. Lunch was salad with home grown snow peas and cucumbers. The summer garden is hitting it's stride.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

An ounce of chicken skin has 3 grams of saturated fat, but 8 grams of unsaturated fat (the good kind.)

And as noted, chicken cooks differently if you take the skin off, it dries out.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had sandwiches tonight on all that lovely fresh bread. My wife is on a meal plan where she has to eat 2 servings of proteins, 1 or 2 vegetables, 1 carb and 1 fat for every meal. The carb can be bread or fruit.

Finding enough proteins and veggies is the challenge for some meals, especially breakfast.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I did a google search on the chicken skin and was not satisfied with the stories I found. Nutrition is a moving target, and I'm going to wait for more information before eating the skin, although every now and then, when I have a particularly crispy skin, I will eat a bit of it.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My wife doesn't like chicken skin, either, but if I take the skin off before cooking, the meat gets dry, so I leave it on but take it off before serving. I like chicken skin that has been fried and is crispy, but I'm not fond of it if it is chewy.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Mike, FYI - one of my favorite breakfast proteins is Jimmy Dean’s turkey sausage patties.

Today, I oven-dried a couple of pounds of Roma tomatoes- now we have two jelly jars of them with olive oil in the fridge.

We had leftover eggplant Parmesan and froze two dinners’ worth for later. We also had some of my mom’s cucumber mousse that I made yesterday - a recipe that goes waaay back.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.