What are you Cooking the Week of July 4, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 4, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had steak with mushrooms and potato (baked potato for me, potato salad for my wife) for supper, along with some steamed broccoli. I had a hot dog and some potato salad for lunch, though.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made a recipe from WaPo for an Afghan grilled eggplant dish - eggplant and tomatoes from the garden with a garlicky yogurt sauce and fresh cilantro and mint. It was really good -fragrant and mild. We had leftover chicken from 2 nights ago.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Last night we had hotdogs and tonight we had fried pork chops,rice and tomato gravy and creamed corn and a good sweet watermelon.

chocomouse
          Participant

We ate grilled chicken breasts, steamed beets, and smashed potatoes.

Janiebakes
            Participant

I used a head of home grown lettuce to make asian lettuce wraps made with ground turkey for lunch. Not sure what we are cooking with the blue hubbard squash. First I have to cut it up. My project for this afternoon.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

That's a big squash, Janiebakes!

On Tuesday, I made salmon and couscous with Greek seasoning. I again used the countertop oven with excellent results. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

cwcdesign
                Participant

We had BLTs with fresh sourdough, tomatoes, lettuce and kale from the garden, of course bacon and avocado. Mayo on the toast. They were perfect!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Janiebakes I've never seen a squash like that,sure is big.

Tonight we had fried cubed steak,thickened potatoes and leftover green butter beans and I made rice krispie treats.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Nice looking hubbard, Jamie! It'll be a real project to cut it up.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Tonight we had rigatoni with tomato sauce, hot Italian sausage, green peppers, onions, and parmesan.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had beef stew and we had it over corn bread.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made Ensalada de Quinoa for dinner on Wednesday. The recipe comes from Bob’s Red Mill. In deference to my husband’s onion sensitivity, I replaced the ½ cup of red onion with three sliced green onions. I also omit the cilantro. In its place, I used 1 tsp. of Penzey’s French Country Vinaigrette. I chose this dinner because in this hot, muggy weather, I have no desire to turn on an oven.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had artichokes for dinner tonight, plus a little potato salad.

Janiebakes
                              Participant

Joan, I never thought to serve stew over cornbread. It sounds delicious.
                                Cutting up that Hubbard squash was a project. You use a rubber mallet to pound a butter knife along one of the ribs. Turn it over and do the same on the other side. Then use the mallet to swack it until the two halves separate. Repeat until the piece is small enough to fit into the oven Bake at 350 for about half an hour. Meanwhile, wipe down the squash splatter from the counters and mop! But it was worth it. Never had Hubbard squash before and it is delicious. For dinner tonight we had a bowl of mashed squash topped with ground turkey spiced with onion, garlic, smoked paprika and sage.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Sounds like almost as much work as cutting a rutabaga. If I ever have to do that again, I'm going to use a bandsaw.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.