What are you Cooking the Week of July 31, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 31, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

BA - that’s the way I like to eat, too. But, a lot of time, I’ll make a batch of something like the tabbouleh and eat it for several nights, especially when I don’t feel like cooking.

Will is moving back home in a couple of weeks, so my eating will change some - he needs more protein than I but our tastes are similar. I’m hoping to get my stove and refrigerator in before he comes home. My contractor is supposed to come tomorrow before or after work to discuss the firewall they want you to out in for the induction stove - he says it’s not a big deal, just timing and he is having trouble finding staff. We have a set date for the windows of mid-September.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had grocery shopping today so we went by the seafood market and got some oysters for stew, so good but high cost of $24.69 for a pint.

Cwcdesign glad you're over the Covid and feeling OK. I know you're looking forward to seeing Will again, sorry Texas didn't work out.Our son lives near Dallas and said it's been so hot.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I thought the price for oysters was steep last December, sounds like they've gone up further since then. For us oyster stew is a once-a-year dish.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Supper tonight was sweet corn, tomato and salami sandwiches, and some sweet cherries for dessert.

chocomouse
            Participant

I found a new recipe to help use some of my cauliflower - a bumper crop this year, compared to the one teeny head I got last summer. The cauliflower salad recipe includes bacon and chedder cheese in a garlicky mayo-sour cream dressing. What's not to like about that? !

I also put ingredients for the blueberry cobbler into a mason jar, with the filling ingredients in a sandwich baggy and squeezed in also. I included dry buttermilk powder to use in place of fresh, and I will put a stick of butter and 5 cups of fresh blueberries into a cooler, along with the cauliflower salad and some of whatever is ripe in the garden. Tomorrow I'm headed to Maine again for an extended weekend away. It was 98* here today, thundering now but no rain, yet, and I'm hoping the Maine coast will be more pleasant for outdoor activities.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm fond of cauliflower, but Diane isn't, so I don't buy it very often and I've never tried to grow it. I've tried growing broccoli and brussels sprouts a few times, never had a really good crop of them, and they're both readily available in the farmers market and stores.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Chocomouse the salad sounds like something I'd like as I love broccoli salad.Safe travels on your trip and enjoy!

I cooked beef stew with potatoes,carrots and onions we had this on top of corn bread.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Chocomouse, your salad sounds a lot like a Southern Living recipe I keep thinking about trying - a loaded cauliflower casserole which has the ingredients of a loaded baked potato - cheese, bacon, sour cream, etc.

I turned the rest of my chicken into chicken salad tonight. I enjoyed it with the tabbouleh.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've got more white eggplant than I know what to do with right now, and the people we normally give our excess eggplant to are all out of town.

I'm planning a small batch of ratatouille, but that won't use up a third of what I need to harvest soon.

Not interested in breaded/fried eggplant, maybe some baked or roasted recipes?

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I have a hard time getting my husband to eat eggplant. Usually, at this time of year, I have some tomatoes. If I did, I would make ratatouille for me. I've seen a recipe somewhere for making a spread for eggplant for crackers, etc., but I cannot recall where.

To go with leftover turkey-zucchini loaf and coleslaw, I roasted sone Kennebec potato chunks tossed in olive oil and Penzey's Chicago Steak blend.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

There are several types of eggplant spreads, the most well-know of which is baba ganoush, which usually has a lot of garlic in it. There are several recipes online for an eggplant spread which also uses tomato paste.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

For supper we had salads with some of the left over roast beef and some small tomatoes from the garden, plus some cantaloupe.

I see some cantaloupe in the garden that are starting to develop striations, the first sign of ripening.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I fried a chicken breast, leftover lima beans, rice and tomato gravy , apple pie ala mode

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I made salmon and couscous with Penzey's Greek Seasoning for dinner tonight. We had it with microwaved fresh green beans from our garden. It is another hot, humid day, so I used the countertop convection oven.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had a late lunch at the mall today, Chicago style hot dogs and Italian beef that, for mall food, were pretty good. So it'll be a light supper, probably a salad with some of the roast beef on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.