What are you Cooking the Week of July 31, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 31, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We've got lots of sandwich fixings: turkey, beef, salami, tomatoes, and hopefully enough bread to get us through the week.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made Buttermilk coleslaw this evening to have with lunch tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had hotdogs split open and fried to get a crisp burn from the griddle that made a good slaw dog and fries to go with it.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I put some NY strip steaks and hot Italian sausage on the bbq yesterday. Had it with BRM instant mashed potatoes and broccoli and carrot.

chocomouse
            Participant

Ham and cheese omelets, and English muffins with peanut butter and peach jam.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

It hit 100 here today, so we had salad, some melon and then tomato and salami sandwiches. Supposed to hit 102 tomorrow. One of our ACs is out, the one for the 2nd floor bedrooms, our bedroom is on first floor. Somehow that always happens on the hottest week of the year. Repair crew coming tomorrow, but I won't be surprised if is time to replace this one. It's about 20 years old.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made another batch of seeded blackberry jam on Tuesday morning after buying another package of 8 oz. jam jars. I ended up with three 8 oz. jars and one 4 oz jar.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

It's hot here too!Yesterday we had sandwiches and my husband had a can of soup with his.Today I pan fried a chicken breast almost done then cut it in strips and placed in a roasting pan with a can of cream of chicken soup to go over that for gravy.That baked about 45 minutes and we had it over rice,I fried fresh okra and we had the best sliced tomatoes we've had this summer.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

It only hit 100 today, but it never got below 75 last night and probably won't again tonight.

We're having some sweet corn and then sandwiches.

chocomouse
                      Participant

We had Italian sausages, along with cole slaw, broccoli salad, and steamed summer squash

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I made tabbouleh and roasted chicken tenders. My grill is out of propane, but it would have been too hot to grill anyway.

I haven’t been cooking much this summer just for me. I was in Atlanta the week after the 4th for a buying trip and managed to bring home a souvenir - COVID - fortunately, it was what they term a mild case and I didn’t give to anyone else. The company says you isolate for 5 days after you test positive and then 5 days of masking. My doctor gave me Paxlovid and I had a reaction to THAT too. But my symptoms cleared pretty quickly. I don’t care how mild people say it is - I’d rather not get it again.

EDIT: you can always tell when I’m writing these on my iPad 🙂

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I am so sorry that you ended up with Covid, CWCdesign but glad that you were able to get over it without the really bad effects, which is not to minimize the effects that it did have on you.

Cooking just for one--especially after a long day at work--can be challenging. When I was single and teaching, I would make a big batch of my Mom's spaghetti sauce the week before the semester began and freeze it in 2-serving containers. It was my go-to fast meal. I also would freeze servings of soups. I would make and freeze hamburger patties. I liked to cook more complicated meals on weekends or days off. Often, I would roast a chicken, then use it in improvised "stir-fries," with pasta, or rice. I have a high tolerance for leftovers, which helped.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Dinner tonight was New York strip steak on the grill, some sauteed mushrooms and a baked potato. I've been trying a variety of steaks on the new grill, and I'm definitely noticing the flavor differences. I haven't done a rib-eye or sirloin yet. I did an eye of round over the weekend and we're still working on it for sandwiches and such.

One of the stores has pork back ribs on sale this week, so I'll probably get a slab and plan on doing it some time next week.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I made my Turkey-Zucchini meatloaf with Peach-Dijon Glaze, which we had with sweet corn and microwaved fresh green beans from our garden. I cooked the meatloaf in the countertop convection oven since it was hot and humid today.

I also made yogurt.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

One of my wife's colleagues (recently retired) has now had COVID twice, and so has her physical therapist. So far neither of us have tested positive for it, despite Diane having been exposed to it several times. :knock on wood:

I wish I could figure out why some posts have problems displaying non-Roman characters and others don't. I don't know if it has to do with what they're being posted with or something else. I don't see any discussion of this problem on the WordPress forums, but I can't imagine it is unique to us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.