What are you Cooking the Week of July 23, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 23, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I canned another three (8 oz) jars and one (4 oz.) jar of de-seeded blackberry jam from the berries I processed on Monday.

This morning, we picked another three quarts of blackberries, and there are plenty more out there. I need some recipes, other than for jam, that use blackberries with seeds removed. Google has not been helpful on that score.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

My son made black raspberry syrup last year, then used the residue from removing the seeds with a Foley to infuse some black raspberry vodka.

chocomouse
        Participant

My husband makes raspberry liqueur every year, I'll suggest he make blackberry this year also. Sorry, BakerAunt, I can't help you -- we never deseed blackberries. I can't wait for pie - and I do not like pie! -- only blackberry pie.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I never have a problem finding a use for black raspberries. Most years there are so few that I am fortunate to get 3-4 cups jam. The taste of black raspberries is superior to that of blackberries IMHO. I would love to have enough black raspberries some season, so that I could bake a pie with them.

The blackberries tend to be more prolific in our area than the black raspberries. My husband's digestive system cannot tolerate the seeds, so I remove them. I did find a recipe for a blackberry pie made with the pulp from de-seeded blackberries, but I wondered why so few recipes for ANY blackberry pie, even with seeds, exist. Maybe it's not popular? Most recipes mix blackberries with blueberries and/or strawberries.

I once baked an all-apricot pie after finally finding a recipe. I quickly learned why apricots are always combined with other fruit in a pie. Apricots should not have the solo role in a pie but should be accompanied by other fruit.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Our Thursday night dinner was Salmon and Couscous with Greek Seasoning, accompanied by microwaved fresh green beans from our garden.

chocomouse
              Participant

Our dinner tonight was tuna sandwiches on maple-whole wheat bread, with lettuce and cherry tomatoes from the deck planters.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had take-out.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I was shopping with my sister in law and we had Chinese ,brought home enough for my supper tomorrow.

navlys
                    Participant

We went to our Bocce captain's house for a team dinner. We had homemade strombolis and salad. I made the salad. One couple brought some delicious ice cream from a local dairy.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Yum, yum, Navlys!

Although a rainstorm cooled us down on Friday morning, the weather soon became very hot and humid, so we were not moved to turn on the oven for dinner. I made quinoa salad with lima beans and corn and feta, and that made a nice dinner by itself. The recipe came from Bob's Red Mill, although I use the Penzey's French Vinaigrette for the dressing.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Leftover Chinese food.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I had canned chili (Amy's vegetarian) with macaroni. E Z

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Leftovers of chicken,candied sweet potatoes and stewed squash.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had a little more than 3 inches of rain last night into this morning, which has cooled us down nicely, as well as helped the plants. It was pleasant enough to open the windows, so I felt able to use the oven again.

For Saturday dinner, I made roasted chicken thighs on one pan, and on the other, I made roasted vegetables, following directions online from Eatwell 101 and Betty Crocker. I found lovely red potatoes as well as some carrots from my other favorite vendor, who is now back for the season. I tossed the chunks of potatoes and carrots in olive oil, and after the chicken had roasted for 20 minutes at 400F, I put in the pan of potatoes and carrots. After another 20 minutes, I added chunks of zucchini and some cherry tomatoes that have been in the refrigerator for a bit too long, after tossing them in oil. After another 20 minutes, I removed the pan with the chicken, but I let the vegetables go another 5 minutes. I would have liked to have seasoned the vegetables, but my husband's gut is giving him trouble, so I settled for sprinkling some Penzey's Forward (a salt-free blend) onto mine. I am iffy about this seasoning, which came in a gift box.

For dessert, we again had the Bittersweet Blackberry Brownies, which improve each day. The recipe is a keeper.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I roasted a sheet pan dinner with sliced chicken and kale sausages, yellow summer squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, orange sweet pepper, and onion. I didn't use any seasonings, there was enough from the sausage. We have plenty leftover for another meal. We also had steamed green, yellow, and purple beans from a deck planter.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.