What are you Cooking the Week of July 18, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 18, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Not yet 4PM, haven't thought much about dinner yet, what about you?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had taco salad.

cwcdesign
        Participant

That's a good idea, Joan!

We're going to have our version of Arroz con Pollo - brown rice, grilled chicken, homemade queso sauce and assorted sautéed vegetables - I think Will's got onions, mushrooms and tomatoes.

chocomouse
          Participant

Our dinner was steak and potatoes on the grill, between rain storms, and Greek salad.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We wound up having sandwiches made with the eye of round I roasted several days ago, which isn't quite gone yet.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We had leftover soup and rolls.

Janiebakes
                Participant

We had BLTs. Yesterday I made a vegetable paella for luncheon after my grand- daughters christening. Three of the guests are vegetarians and appreciated it. One of my favorite recipes it uses eggplant, mushrooms, onion, garlic, peppers, tomato, and green beans, saffron, paprika and paella rice. Costco had a neat package with 4 types of mushrooms including one that looked like a toadstool in a child's book. Almost 6 inches long, I left them whole, on the very top for garnish.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Janiebakes, your paella sounds delicious. Would you be willing to share your recipe? I've had a vegetarian one bookmarked for years, but it seems long-winded.

I meant to add a comment about Will's queso - we found a recipe that doesn't use velveeta but uses real cheese and evaporated milk. He's found that using melty cheeses like jack cheese, etc. works best. I think it also uses cornstarch instead of flour. It doesn't separate.

Janiebakes
                    Participant

Would love to share the paella recipe. It is from Mediterranean Food of the Sun by Jacquiline Clark and Joann Farrow

ChunkyVegetable Paella

A good pinch of saffron soaked in three TBLs of warm water
                      Eggplant cut into thick chunks, salted, drained for 30 minutes in colander, then rinsed
                      one large onion sliced
                      three cloves of garlic,crushed
                      one yellow pepper sliced
                      one red pepper sliced
                      2 tsp paprika
                      one pound fresh tomatoes skinned and chopped
                      four ozs chopped mushrooms
                      4 ozs cut green beans
                      14 oz can chickpeas
                      2 1/2 cups stock
                      1 1/4 cup risotto rice or paella rice
                      salt and pepper
                      Sautee onion, garlic, eggplant and peppers in a large skillet for about five minutes stirring occasionally. Mix in the rice, stock,tomatoes, saffron and salt/pepper to taste.
                      Bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes uncovered,shaking the pan often and stirring occasionally. (you want to keep the rice whole not mush it up) Stir in mushrooms, green beans and chick peas with their liquid. Cook ten minutes longer. Serve hot from the pan

Cooks notes:
                      Ideally you use the saffron but it is expensive. You can skip it and still have a tasty dish. Try smoked paprika if you skip the saffron.
                      Use one 15oz can of diced tomatoes for the fresh skinned and chopped tomatoes.
                      Better than Boullion veggie base makes really good stock
                      The cooking time for the green beans is too short I think. Add them with all the other veggies or precook them. I find that all the cook times listed are a little short. I just cook until it looks good to me

20210717_141541-paella

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife doesn't like saffron, I think it bothers her stomach, so we don't have any in the house and I don't think I've ever made anything that used it. Garlic, curry powder, saffron, paprika, turmeric, and cardamom are herbs and spices we don't use much, if at all. (And to be honest, I don't miss them all that much, a number of foods that use garlic are IMHO actually better without the garlic in it, though I do like garlic bread. And I've never understood garlic in mac and cheese!)

BakerAunt
                        Participant

That recipe looks great, Janiebakes.

On Monday, I made my Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach Dijon Glaze. We had it with bulgur cooked in turkey broth from the freezer and microwaved fresh green beans from our garden.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Thank you janiebakes, it looks pretty simple. I look forward to trying it.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight we had fried pork chops,leftover white acre peas and creamed corn and sliced tomatoes.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had a hamburger patty,stewed squash and onions and green beans.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I threw together something that I knew my husband would like, and that would provide leftovers for some of his meals, as I am going to be in Maine for about a week. I sliced and browned kielbase, added bite-size chunks of sweet red pepper and onions. Then I added 1/2 cup of rice and 1 cup of water, stirred together and simmered til the rice was cooked. I then added about 1/2 cup, maybe a little more, of a three-blend cheese: asiago, romano and parmesan. With a salad of greens, onions, tomatoes, peppers, and cukes, this made a nice dinner - with plenty of leftovers. And husband says it is really really good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.