What are you Cooking the Week of July 16, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 16, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Probably won't be cooking outdoors today, rain expected on and off and the air quality index is still kind of high, around 100. (I would have expected it to go down more with the overnight rain.)

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I'm trying Brown Eyed Baker's version of a Philly Cheese Steak tonight. I was able to friend already shaved rib eye (her preferred cut) at Harris Teeter and while still expensive, a lot less than buying the steak and still having to slice it. They did not have hoagie rolls or sub rolls or whatever you call them where you live, so I got a baguette which I will cut in 4 pieces. They did have something they called Chicago rolls (made me think of you, Mike) that looked like sub rolls but were too small.

If we like where this is going, I'll learn to make sub rolls and see if Sam's has something similar to the meet I bought.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I used the leftover roasted chicken breast to make chicken salad. I used mayonnaise, a bit of Dijon mustard, chopped celery, dried chives, dried parsley, and some freshly ground pepper. We had it on the buns I baked this afternoon. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli.

This morning, I picked 1 1/2 quarts blackberries at one of our woodlands. I washed them and let them dry on paper towels. After dinner I de-seeded them and have a cant 4 cups of pulp, which I will refrigerate overnight and use to make jam tomorrow. Most of the blackberries were large and plump. There are still many red berries, but they may not get as large. A lot seems to depend on whether it rained at a critical point for the plant. We have been having enough occasional rains that we are having a berry season, but I may not have as many blackberries as last year.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The rolls used for Italian Beef sandwiches in Chicago are interesting, they're designed to hold up structurally when soaked with the gravy. I like my Italian Beef sandwiches double-dipped so they're literally dripping gravy when you pick them up, but they don't fall apart. I'm not sure what they do to the recipe or procedure to achieve that, and the two companies that make them are VERY secretive about it.

Like Chicago-style hot dog buns, they're not available here, Rotella makes one that is close, but when you buy an Italian Beef kit online, it includes the right kind of rolls.

I've had Philly Cheese Steaks from both Geno's and Pat's, and to be honest, I found them disappointing and I prefer two of the local versions over either of them, though there are others that are poor imitations of a Philly. In a recent survey ranking cheese steaks in Philadelphia, neither Geno's nor Pat's appeared at the top of the list.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Tonight I had a large salad with some left over rotisserie chicken and Diane made nachos.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I worked in the yard all day so it's a sandwich and an orange.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I made Sloppy Josephines for dinner on Monday, which we had on some of the Len's buns I baked yesterday. I have not made this recipe in a long time. We also had microwaved frozen lima beans.

Earlier in the day, I made blackberry jam and canned three 1-cup jars and one ½ cup jar.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We had some cantaloupe with salami for supper, the melon was the best I've had so far this year.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was Buttermilk Coleslaw and Crispy Oven Baked Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

On Sunday I made ribeye steak and spicy Italian sausage on the grill. I had the steak. Yesterday I had a sausage with pasta. Today I made a pizza with a sausage and mushrooms.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Leftover pizza.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Ham and tomato sandwich with a baked potato.Since my husband passed away I've not been cooking very much.I usually have a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast or fruit so I've lost a few pounds which is a good thing.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I made a veggie-pasta salad and a chicken salad with grapes. My first real cooking since I returned from a week in Maine. While there, we ate lobster, shrimp, crab, mussels, clams - all delicious of course.

Joan, it sounds like you are eating some delicious and nutritious foods, although not quite the wonderful meals you made for your husband and you.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had leftover sloppy Josephines on Len buns and coleslaw.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made a pizza with mushrooms, chicken breast and shrimp. A little unusual but that's what great about making your own.

Pizza‑1

pizza‑2

Shrimp really adds a lot of flavor to pizza, it was delicious. Had the leftover for breakfast this morning.

The crust was equal parts of Semolina, KAB Rye Flour Blend, Whole Wheat and AP, hydrated at about 70%.

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.