What are you Cooking the Week of July 11, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 11, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No specific plans here, we've got all sorts of food ready to eat, may just be sandwiches and such today.

My wife has requested that I do an eye of round roast, it is defrosting today, not sure if it'll be defrosted enough to cook until tomorrow.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made a batch of yogurt on Sunday.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Sunday dinner was leftover Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms, and Rice, with microwaved fresh green beans—the first--from our garden.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

We had buttermilk pancakes and sausage.

chocomouse
            Participant

For dinner tonight, I have made a rotini-veggie salad with home-made Italian dressing using fresh herbs from my deck, and also a crabmeat salad. Savory rolls from the freezer will be a nice side.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made my eye of round on the outdoor rotisserie today, it weighs in at about 4 1/2 pounds after cooking. I'm keeping some of it warm, wrapped in foil, for dinner tonight, the rest I'll let cool and then will slice up tomorrow. (This is one of those times when having a good slicer would be handy.)

I'm going to use the juice and drippings to try another batch of Italian beef jus, since my wife doesn't want gravy with her beef tonight. (Sigh, no mashed potatoes either.)

I've got a Meater Plus wireless meat thermometer, this may be the first time I've tried it on the outdoor grill, even with the repeater it barely went 20 feet before I lost connection, but it worked well enough as long as I left the repeater outside and my phone by the patio door.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Sounds delicious, Mike!

I made and canned four more 8 oz. jars of Black Raspberry Jam on Monday. I waited until evening, having decided that it was not going to rain--we have had three days of rain forecast and never received more than a smattering—and of course it rained after I started. (My husband and I have decided that the internet forecasts are not worth the paper they are not printed on.) I am hoping it will not make a difference. I still have a few black raspberries in the refrigerator, but there will not be enough for another batch of my favorite jam. The blackberries are beginning to ripen, however, so there will be a mixed berry jam. I may have to freeze the remaining black raspberries until then.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight I made a hamburger and tomato type sauce added onion and seasonings we had that on top of mashed potatoes and a side of fried okra.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Eye of round has the reputation for being tough and dry, but done on the rotisserie at a medium temperature it stays fairly tender and juicy. You'll never confuse it with filet, but it's pretty good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I was able to buy a lovely cabbage from one of my favored farmer’s market vendors on Saturday. On Tuesday morning, I made J. Kenji Lopez-Alt’s “Super-Simple Tangy Buttermilk Coleslaw.” My only change was to exclude the red onion in deference to my husband and instead use 2 tsp. Penzey’s dried onion that I rehydrated in the dressing mixture before adding. I made a note to myself this time that when I shred cabbage in the food processor, I need to use the regular slicing disc, not the shredding disc. I used the regular shredding disk for the carrot.

My next project will be making pizza sauce, using a can of Muir Glen organic diced, fire-roasted tomatoes.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made a batch of sauerkraut a couple of weeks ago using the 2mm shredding blade on my Cuisinart 14 cup food processor; it is at the tasting stage so I brought up a small bowl of it on Sunday.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I started with the shredding blades--first the fine, then the regular--but it was not the right size for coleslaw. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have worked out that the slicing blade would work for the vertical pieces of cabbage.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I've never been able to figure out how to put the cabbage into my Cuisinart to make nice shreds or slices. I've had that Cuisinart for 41 years now, and every once in a while I try again, but I always end up with mangled pieces of cabbage. I just use a big knife. I have 6 cabbages in my garden, medium size now - it looks like we'll be eating a lot of cole slaw!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

My Cuisinart has a feeder tube that doesn't do continuous feeding as the top won't come off, so I have to load it, chop it, take the feeder tube off (which stops the blades), reload it, put the feeder tube back on, etc. Most of the time I have to cut the cabbage into at least 4 and usually 8 pieces or they won't fit. I need to empty the 14 cup processor every 3-4 pieces, too.

I used the drippings from yesterday's eye of round roast to make another batch of jus for Italian Beef, I'll post the details in the Italian Beef recipe thread.

Came out pretty close, I'd make it again. The Chicago Metallic/KAF recipe for the sandwich roll pan fell apart when wet, so I need to keep looking there.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I made hamburger steaks and fries last night.

I went to visit my sister yesterday she's in a nursing -rehab home for a bit hoping she can regain some strength.Not looking good as her COPD is very bad.She is on oxygen 24-7 and yesterday just walking in her room 5 ft. she couldn't hardly go.Very sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.