What are You Cooking the Week of January 29, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of January 29, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Here we are in the midst of winter. What are you cooking this week? For Sunday dinner, I made my Dilled Salmon and Couscous (recipe on this site).

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Sunday I baked some chicken breasts with Penzey's Quebec seasoning. Sadly, the seasoning stuck to the skin and didn't make it to the chicken. I think in the future, I'll just do boneless chicken breasts with olive oil and the seasoning rubbed on.

On Saturday night (I know this belongs in a different thread, but in the interest of time) I made penne with vodka sauce because we had a friend visiting from Ireland who always liked it when I made it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Cwcdesign--You could loosen the chicken skin and put the spice underneath it onto the chicken.

Italiancook
          Participant

For the first time in my life, I made strawberry syrup to go on strawberry pancakes.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Good for you Italiancook! May I suggest that said sauce goes good on ice cream and plain yogurt as well.

I made a blueberry sauce late last week, I use it mostly on yogurt. I've also made blackberry and raspberry sauce. I like to finish the sauce with a tablespoon of Kirsch, a cherry flavored liqueur.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Good for you Italiancook! May I suggest that said sauce goes good on ice cream and plain yogurt as well.

I made a blueberry sauce late last week, I use it mostly on yogurt. I've also made blackberry and raspberry sauce. I like to finish the sauce with a tablespoon of Kirsch, a cherry flavored liqueur.

Italiancook
                Participant

RiversideLen, what a great idea -- berry sauce for ice cream! I'm going to buy ice cream and strawberries next time I go to grocery. I guess I should also buy yougurt so I have something healthful to eat with the sauce, too.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For Tuesday dinner, I roasted chicken legs and cut-up sweet potatoes, drizzled with olive oil, maple syrup, and rosemary.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

On Tuesday, I made chicken salad with the remainder of Sunday night's chicken (we also ate it on Monday). I added celery, dried cranberries and pecans. I used half mayo and half 2% Greek yogurt - we've decided we like the addition of the yogurt and will try it in our family's favorite chicken salad which uses 3 cups of mayo.

Yesterday, I tired a recipe for crispy tofu bites - they didn't come out crispy so I went and did some research. Turns out you shouldn't marinate the tofu first - it, duh, makes it soggy. I'll try again with the new recipe and save the marinade for something else - it was good. I also made a sheet pan dinner with chicken sausage, veggies & sweet potatoes.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

That chicken salad sounds good. I can see how the yogurt would work, since I often use Penzey's buttermilk salad dressing with half mayonnaise and half yogurt.

Sheet pan dinners are wonderful--one pan and lots of different foods.

navlys
                        Participant

Ok received a free week of meals from Blue Apron. I cooked things I would not normally make. The last meal I made was orange & mirin glazed cod with barley and broccoli salad. If I hated to food shop (which I enjoy) I would consider using BA more often. The broccoli was so fresh I considered eating it raw. The whole meal was excellent.

Italiancook
                          Participant

From Martha Stewart's website, I just made "Creamy Tomato Soup." I ended up adding some sugar to offset the bitterness of the tomatoes, and I added more half 'n half hoping it would also help. Aaron, I considered baking soda, but I wasn't sure how much to use. I will serve this soup to a guest, but I don't like adding sugar to savory food.

KIDPIZZA
                            Participant

From Martha Stewart’s website, I just made “Creamy Tomato Soup.” I ended up adding some sugar to offset the bitterness of the tomatoes, and I added more half ‘n half hoping it would also help. Aaron, I considered baking soda, but I wasn’t sure how much to use. I will serve this soup to a guest, but I don’t like adding sugar to savory food.

Good morning Italian cook. I enjoy this soup we have here at the home. I always ask them to put in a few dollops of rice in my bowl & they do. I thought I would mention this tidbit to you because "WHO KNOWS YO MAY LIKE IT" It just might make a difference in your feelings about your recipe.
                              Here is one you may wish to consider. It doesn't have cream in it but you can add some at the very end to your liking.
                              Whatever you decide I am sure it will turn out well for you.

Enjoy the day.

~CASS / KIDPIZZA

luvpyrpom
                              Participant

Not much cooking this week, too. Working on leftovers that I had made from the previous week - made Buddha's Delight for Chinese New Year - it's a dish made with shitake mushrooms, wood ears, seaweed moss, mung bean noodles. Also tried a new dish - braised fresh daikon radish with mushroom and pork. It also contains glass noodles which is a Korean type of noodle made from sweet potato flour. I had picked up a roast chicken and roasted leg quarters from Costco so I saved the bones/carcass to make chicken broth. Tried a new format of making the soup - put it all in a slow cooker and let it cook overnight.

luvpyrpom
                                Participant

For Italiancook and Len, I made blueberry, peach, and strawberry syrups during my canning session last year. I use them for pancakes, ice cream, angel food cakes and drinks. I do a mix of syrup and carbonated water to make a healthier drink. I've heard of people mixing the syrups with alcohol to make mixed drinks but I haven't tried it yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.